Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez pleaded not guilty Friday to murder and weapons charges in the June killing of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd.
He will be held without bail until his next court appearance on Oct. 9.
The 23-year-old Connecticut native, released by the Patriots after his arrest, appeared at his arraignment in Superior Court in Massachusetts wearing a dark suit jacket and white shirt.
He firmly said "not guilty" as the charges of first-degree murder and five firearms violations were read aloud, according to Reuters.
A grand jury indicted Hernandez last month on the charges.
More from GlobalPost: Ex-NFL player Hernandez indicted for June murder
He's accused of orchestrating the shooting of his friend Lloyd, who was dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancee.
According to prosecutors, Hernandez was upset at Lloyd for talking to some people with whom Hernandez had problems at a nightclub a few days earlier.
Friday's arraignment comes as authorities continue to investigate Hernandez in connection with an unsolved 2012 double homicide case in Boston.
Defense attorney Charles Rankin told the Associated Press he's confident the ex-Patriot will be exonerated on all charges.
"Not one shred of evidence has been presented yet," he said.
More from GlobalPost: Ohio man uses YouTube video to admit he killed someone