Connect to share and comment

The digital world, explained.

Xbox rumors of ban on used games spark complaints, fall in stock prices

Following rumors that Microsoft's next generation Xbox console will not allow users to play cheaper used games, video game reseller GameStop suffered a fall in stock prices while the internet erupted in outrage and speculation.
Call of duty 03 20 2012Enlarge
Actor Nick Swardson attends First-Ever Call of Duty XP at the Stages at Playa Vista on September 3, 2011 in Los Angeles, California. (John Sciulli/AFP/Getty Images)
The report’s accuracy almost seems beside the point as the speculation over used games being forced out of the market is already affecting the gaming industry.
More

Anonymous' OpLastResort releases user information for thousands of US bank executives

Anonymous has released user and personal information belonging to 4,000 US community bank executives, in an escalation in their online battle against the US Department of Justice.
Anonymous hackers 2012 02 28Enlarge
Anonymous is a loosely organized international network of online activists suspected of the coordinated computer hacking of institutions, multinationals and government organizations around the globe. (LOUISA GOULIAMAKI/AFP/Getty Images)

UPDATE: The Federal Reserve admitted on Wednesday that hackers did gain access to computers used in communication with local banks after the Anonymous hacker collective released the personal information of over 4,000 US bank executives earlier this week.

“The Federal Reserve System is aware that information was obtained by exploiting a temporary vulnerability in a website vendor product,” A Federal Reserve spokesman said in a statement.

“The exposure was fixed shortly after discovery and is no longer an issue. This incident did not affect critical operations of the Federal Reserve System,” the spokesman said.

Citing federal law enforcement officials, ABC news stated that the FBI has opened an investigation into the incident.
The Federal Reserve hack was part of an Anonymous campaign, OpLastResort.

“The Fed calls our hack claims 'overstated', like their qualification for an unregulated and opaque role in determining US economic policy,” said Twitter account @OpLastResort, the account used by the organization for this particular operation.

Anonymous released the security credentials for over 4,000 US bank executives on Monday, posting their user account information, passwords and personal information online as part of OpLastResort.

OpLastResort is an Anonymous operation calling for sweeping reforms of the US criminal justice system.

Anonymous claimed that the bank executives' information was taken from networks associated with the US Federal Reserve.

The dox – or release of personal information online – was posted as a spreadsheet on a domain belonging to the Alabama Criminal Justice Information center: http://acjic.alabama.gov. To publish the spreadsheet, the hackers gained access to the domain and added “oops we did it again” to the URL.

Banks listed in the dox included a large number of small community banks. Lacking the security infrastructure of larger national banks, local banks are more vulnerable to security breaches and cyberattacks.

More

Are China's cyber soldiers unstoppable?

It's not science fiction. Cyber warfare is becoming reality as the US ramps up efforts to challenge China's digital hegemony.
China cyberwar 02 01 2013Enlarge
A man wears a mask of the Anonymous hacker group as he and other people take part in a protest for the cause of late Chinese dissident Li Wangyang in Hong Kong on June 10, 2012. Li, 62, who spent 22 years in jail for his role in the Tiananmen democracy protests died in allegedly suspicious circumstances in his hospital ward in central China's Hunan province on June 6 by his sister and brother-in-law. (Philippe Lopez/AFP/Getty Images)

Just days after news broke of the Pentagon’s efforts to recruit IT professionals into Cyber Command’s new fighting force, the four-month-long online siege of The New York Times by Chinese hackers was revealed to the public, suggesting that protracted cyber warfare is a real danger.

According to the Times, evidence suggests that the Chinese government was behind the cyber-attack, using methods that some consultants have previously associated with the Chinese military.

China employs large numbers of government hackers that launch attacks against their enemies, including the United States, using methods not unlike those used in the attack against the Times. 

"Hacking is now a regular business,” Nazli Choucri, a professor of political science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, told GlobalPost. Choucri specializes in researching international cyber relations.

But is the US arsenal equipped to fight back?

“Our values prevent us from the type of recruitment and organization [of hackers] that China has. On the other hand, evidence suggests that US capabilities — offense or defense – are great,” Choucri said.

More

US Defense Department ramps up recruitment for cyber army

Responding to threats of cyber espionage and state sponsored cyber attack, US Cyber Command looks to expand its forces by 4000.
Cyber army 01 29 2013Enlarge
Participants work at their laptops at the annual Chaos Computer Club (CCC) computer hackers' congress, called 29C3, on December 28, 2012 in Hamburg, Germany. The 29th Chaos Communication Congress (29C3) attracts hundreds of participants worldwide annually to engage in workshops and lectures discussing the role of technology in society and its future. (Patrick Lux/AFP/Getty Images)

In a major expansion of the US Defense Department’s Cyber Command, the Pentagon reportedly plans to recruit thousands of code crackers, online security professionals and even hackers to deploy the nation’s largest ever cyber army.

The command will recruit an additional 4,000 troops and civilians in the expansion of Cyber Command’s personnel to respond to the growing threat of cyber espionage, state-sponsored cyber-attacks and hacker collectives, The Washington Post reported. 

“Given the malicious actors that are out there and the development of the technology, in my mind, there’s little doubt that some adversary is going to attempt a significant cyber-attack on the United States at some point,” William J. Lynn III, a former deputy defense secretary who helped fashion the Pentagon’s cyber security strategy, told The Post. 

“The only question is whether we’re going to take the necessary steps like this one to deflect the impact of the attack in advance or… read about the steps we should have taken in some post-attack commission report,” he added. 

More

Google defies law enforcement, demands warrants for user data

Defying dated US law, Google demands law enforcement demonstrate probable cause before turning over user data.
Transparency report 01 24 2013Enlarge
California Gov. Jerry Brown (L) signs State Senate Bill 1298 as California State Sen. Alex Padilla (C) and Google co-founder Sergey Brin (R) look on at the Google headquarters on September 25, 2012 in Mountain View, California. California Gov. Jerry Brown signed State Senate Bill 1298 that allows driverless cars to operate on public roads for testing purposes. The bill also calls for the Department of Motor Vehicles to adopt regulations that govern licensing, bonding, testing and operation of the driverless vehicles before January 2015. (Justin Sullivan/AFP/Getty Images)
Google is now demanding that US law enforcement agencies present probable cause search warrants to access user data from Gmail and Google Drive accounts.
More

Kim Dotcom's Mega site launch mired in controversy and security concerns

Kim Dotcom's latest project, Mega, is struggling to maintain viability as the security community expresses concerns over the site's encryption tools.
Kim Dotcom megaupload 7 10 2012Enlarge
Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom at North Shore District Court on February 22, 2012 in Auckland, New Zealand. (Sandra Mu/AFP/Getty Images)
“The massive global PR around the #Mega launch is simply to[o] big to handle for our start-up. I apologize for poor service quality,” said Dotcom in a tweet.
More

Anonymous Mexico targets Defense Department in support of Zapatistas

Publicly aligning itself with the Chiapas-based Zapatista movement, embattled Anonymous Mexico defaced and temporarily brought down websites belonging to Mexico's Department of Defense on Thursday.
Anonymous mexico 01 18 2013Enlarge
(Screengrab/Screengrab)

Embattled Mexico-based hackers associated with the Anonymous collective hacked, defaced and launched DDoS (distributed denial of service) attacks against the website belonging to the Mexican Defense Department on Thursday.

Anonymous Mexico also claims to have hacked the ministry’s server, and says it will release the information taken from the network soon. The hail is said to include 60 gigabytes of data, including emails and credit card information.

The Defense Department, however, claimed that no internal networks or information had been affected or compromised during the site’s downtime. 

As part of their defacement of the website, Anonymous Mexico posted a statement in support of the Zapatista Army of National Liberation (EZLN), based in the Mexican state of Chiapas.

The statement expressed the collective’s grievances with the Mexican army and their exploitation of the indigenous poor in the state of Chiapas. 

More

Old Republic devs to segregate same gender relationships to one gay planet

As Bioware prepares to make Star Wars: The Old Republic free to play, adding same-gender relationships to the game is proving a difficult and controversial endeavor.
Swtor sgr 01 15 2013Enlarge
A man dressed up as Princess Leia from the Star Wars movies arrives at the annual Mother City Queer Project Party, at Cape Town Stadium, on December 15, 2012, in Cape Town, South Africa. The party is aimed at gays and lesbians, and heterosexual people, who are sympathetic to homosexual issues, who all like to dress up for a costume ball. This year the theme of the party is Fairytale Fantasy. The MCQP is part of a week of gay and lesbian celebration, and activism, in the city. (Rodger Bosch /AFP/Getty Images)

Anyone in the know can tell you that Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR) was one of the biggest massively multiplayer online (MMO) flops of the decade.

But is that about to change?

SWTOR is getting some new exposure after changing the game to a free-to-play model and allowing for same-sex relationships between characters in the game.

Bioware, the developers of SWTOR, are well known for their open-minded approach to sexuality in previous games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect. But same-gender relationships were conspicuously absent from SWTOR. Now the developers are having to allow for all characters to enter into same gender romances. That could take a lot of coding. 

“I realize that we promised [same-gender relationships] to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character. Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play,” wrote executive producer Jeff Hickman in post to a developers' blog

More

CES 2013: 'Big Brother' gadgets trade privacy for data

Consumers are expected to volunteer more personal data to use the new gadgets unveiled at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
Ces big marketer 01 11 2013Enlarge
Samsung Galaxy Camera at Samsung booth at the 2013 International CES at the Las Vegas Convention Center on January 10, 2013 in Las Vegas, Nevada. CES, the world's largest annual consumer technology trade show, runs from January 8-11 and is expected to feature 3,100 exhibitors showing off their latest products and services to about 150,000 attendees. (Joe Klamer/AFP/Getty Images)
As the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show comes to a close, one thing has become clear – more and more companies are expecting consumers to voluntarily give up their personal information while using the latest gadgets.
More

In defense of LGBT rights, Anonymous adopts "scorched earth policy" for Ugandan online infrastructure

More Ugandan government sites have fallen under cyber attack by LGBT rights advocates within the Anonymous collective in protest of the country's anti-homosexuality bill.
Uganda scourched earth 01 10 2013 1Enlarge
A woman mourns at the funeral of murdered activist David Kato near Mataba, on January 28, 2011. Although the police claims it was most likely a petty crime, targeting Kato's money, many members of the gay and the human rights community hold the Ugandan government responsible for not battling the growing resentments against homosexuals in the Ugandan society. Homosexuality is illegal in many African countries and is punishable by a prison sentence. (Marc Hofer/AFP/Getty Images)

LGBT rights advocates within the hacker collectives Anonymous and GreySecurity (Gsec) have continued their campaign against Uganda’s anti-homosexuality bill as government sites and .ug domains have fallen victim to further online attacks.

The websites belonging to the Ugandan Petroleum Exploration and Production Department of the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development and the Department of Agriculture came under attack by Anonymous on Sunday night, and the attacks have not abated. 

The Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development’s website was defaced with the Anonymous logo and a message from the collective. 

“Citizens and government of Uganda, take heed, Anonymous is calling,” read the message. 

“If nobody else will take action and the government of Uganda refuses to see reason, Anonymous will adopt a scorched earth policy towards Uganda's network infrastructure. You should expect us, for we do not forgive and we will not forget.”

More