Why the Islamic State is making Indonesia and its neighbors nervous
Indonesia is the world’s most populous Muslim-majority country, and a glaring target for IS recruitment.
In Java, teens who break the 9 p.m. dating curfew may have to marry
Closed-circuit cameras will be watching for violators.
Indonesia is going crazy over gemstones with magical powers
Purple stones grant invincibility.
Trump tramples Univision anchor in 'bizarre' performance
Curiouser and curiouser, Trumpmania rolls on.
Last Sumatran rhino in Western Hemisphere is bringing his talents to Southeast Asia
Harapan is leaving the Cincinnati Zoo in search of love and productive mating in Indonesia.
Global markets have stopped freaking out, for now
Sure, China affects the world economy — just not as much as everyone thought yesterday.
Indonesia still grapples with the ghosts of communism
Decades after a brutal political massacre, 'communist' remains a wounding slur.
Whoever masterminded the Bangkok bombing was acting on home turf, police say
It's 'unlikely' that international terrorist groups were behind Monday's deadly bombing in Bangkok.
The Uber of moto-taxis tries to bring order to Jakarta's traffic insanity
And the drivers of traditional bikes — ojeks — aren't happy.
The death toll in Tianjin continues to mount
Rescue workers pulled more bodies from the wreckage in the Chinese port city on Sunday, raising the death count to 112.
Rescuers head to crashed Indonesian plane
Rescue teams were heading to the site of an air crash in rugged eastern Indonesia Monday after villagers found the wreckage of a passenger plane which went missing with 54 people aboard, officials said.
Indonesian foundation defends awarding Kim Jong-Un peace prize
Foundation officials say the allegations about human rights abuses in North Korea are untrue.
At least 116 dead in Indonesia military plane crash
The accident comes just six months after an AirAsia plane crashed into the Java Sea, killing all 162 people on board.
New Blackbeards of Malacca Strait: Southeast Asia’s pirates are getting bolder
Forget Somalia—the seas around Indonesia are some of the most preyed-upon waters on the planet.
Indonesia's secret abortion problem
Sex education is still taboo among most Indonesian Muslims. But some people of faith are trying to change that.
The gay sex worker who defied sharia law in Banda Aceh to organize
Now living in Jakarta, Faisal Riza has devoted his life to the well-being of his fellow workers.
Indonesia might ban alcohol entirely
And it’s probably a really bad idea.
The US says it will take in some of Asia’s most persecuted people
Here's what would have to happen for a Rohingya refugee to make it to the United States.
Probing vaginas is the only way to test a woman's morality, Indonesia's military assures us
Suffice it to say, this force — which is 10 percent female — does not stick fingers inside the other 90 percent.
That boat full of starving asylum seekers may be lost off the coast of Thailand
A boat carrying hundreds of refugees, which no country is willing to take in, has not been seen in days.
This little white horse is helping Javanese learn to read
One million people in Central Java are illiterate. So every little bit helps.
Thailand’s death camps may be the most horrifying places in Southeast Asia
When the world's most persecuted people flee, it only gets worse.
Foreign journalists can finally report from one of Asia's oldest conflicts
Will it matter?
Almost 500 Rohingya rescued off Indonesia: officials
Rescuers Sunday brought ashore 469 migrants from Myanmar and Bangladesh after their wooden boat arrived off Aceh in northwest Indonesia, an official said.
Indonesia’s underground atheists lay low after Facebook post that led to imprisonment
Atheism is illegal under the country's blasphemy law. Alexander Aan learned that the hard way.
Mobile technology for Muslims is changing faith in Indonesia
Smartphone apps and social media conversations are influencing the way even conservative religious leaders reach their followers.
Not all mosques welcome in Indonesia, world’s most populous Muslim-majority country
Indonesia touts its multi-faith democracy. But is there room for Ahmadiyya?
Indonesian Christians pray in protest after government shuts down churches
One thousand churches have been closed in the last decade, according to Human Rights Watch.
Heralded by the West as a model for tolerance, Indonesia squeezes religious minorities
A rising ultraconservative presence across the archipelago has put minority Muslims, Christians and atheists in jeopardy.
Indonesia bans hundreds of thousands of maids from working in Saudi Arabia
Instead of working to protect its domestic workers from abuse in Saudi Arabia, Indonesia is just outright preventing them from even going.
That heavy metal-loving president of Indonesia has been pretty disappointing so far
Indonesia's Joko “Jokowi” Widodo is no longer the world's new democratic darling.