Connect to share and comment

Indonesia grants parole to Australian drug convict Corby

Australian drug trafficker Schapelle Corby was granted parole by Indonesian authorities Friday as mobs of journalists camped outside her Bali prison and a bidding war heated up for her first post-jail interview. Justice Minister Amir Syamsuddin announced that Corby, whose case has attracted huge public sympathy since she was arrested in 2004 trying to smuggle marijuana into Bali, would walk free from prison after more than nine years behind bars.

Indonesia grants parole to Australian drug convict

Indonesia has granted parole to Australian drug trafficker Schapelle Corby who has spent nine years behind bars on the resort island of Bali, the justice minister said Friday. "Corby is among some 1,200 people" whose parole applications have been finalised, said Amir Syamsuddin, while refusing to comment on when she might be released from prison. olr-sr/pj

Indonesia grants parole to Australian drug convict

Indonesia has granted parole to Australian drug trafficker Schapelle Corby who has spent nine years behind bars on the resort island of Bali, the justice minister said Friday. "Corby is among some 1,200 people" whose parole applications have been finalised, said Amir Syamsuddin, while refusing to comment on when she might be released from prison. olr-sr/pj

British MP behind Nazi uniform stag party to step down

A British lawmaker who organised a Nazi-themed stag party in France is to stand down at the next general election, he announced Wednesday. MP Aidan Burley said he would not be seeking re-election in the May 2015 polls, following a "difficult time". The 35-year-old was sacked as parliamentary private secretary to Britain's transport minister after newspapers published pictures of the boozy bash at a posh French ski resort in December 2011. "After a difficult time I have decided to announce I will stand down at the next general election," he said in a statement.

Long lines, crowded conditions: Millions of Londoners brace for chaos as Tube workers strike

LONDON - Snaking lines at taxi ranks, crowded and sweaty buses, long delays into work: Londoners are bracing for all that and worse as workers at the city's sprawling 150-year-old underground train network — known as the Tube — go on a series of strikes beginning Tuesday night. Some 3.5 million people journey each day on the network's 11 lines and 270 stations, leading to predictions of widespread travel chaos as much of the capital grinds to a halt for four days. Here are the details of the possible Tube turmoil: ___ HOW BAD WILL IT BE?

Indonesia to decide on Australian trafficker parole in days

High-profile Australian drug trafficker Schapelle Corby will learn within days whether she will be granted parole from an Indonesian jail following a lengthy bid to win early release, a minister said Wednesday. Indonesian Justice Minister Amir Syamsuddin said the 36-year-old's application was among a large batch he would decide on by Friday although he stressed she would not get "special treatment".

Football: Southampton suspend Osvaldo for two weeks

Southampton have suspended record signing Dani Osvaldo for two weeks after an incident at the club's training ground, the Premier League side announced Thursday. The Saints did not disclose the details of the incident but Southampton's Southern Daily Echo newspaper reported Osvaldo had been involved in an incident with his team-mate, Jose Fonte, during a session at the club's Staplewood training ground on Wednesday. No action is being taken against Fonte.

Football: Liebherr promises Saints 'commitment'

Southampton owner Katharina Liebherr promised Tuesday she was "absolutely committed" to the Premier League club's future success following the exit last week of former executive chairman Nicola Cortese. The Italian joined Southampton in 2009 after playing a key role in the purchase of the south coast club by Swiss businessman Markus Liebherr -- Katharina's father. He oversaw the Saints' rise from League One to the Premier League but his exit came amid reports of a disagreement with Katharina Liebherr, who became the club's owner after her father's death in 2010.

Football: Portsmouth ex-owner can be extradited - court

The Russian former owner of Portsmouth Football Club should be extradited to Lithuania to face fraud charges, a British court ruled Monday. Vladimir Antonov, 37, and his Lithuanian business partner Raimondas Baranauskas, 56, are suspected of stripping 470 million euros ($640 million) and $10 million (7.4 million euros) in assets and funds from Bankas Snoras. They were the major shareholders in the bank, Lithuania's fourth-biggest, which went into state administration in November 2011 and was declared bankrupt.

Football: Pochettino confirms Southampton commitment

Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino said on Thursday that he intends to stay at the club despite the resignation of his ally Nicola Cortese as executive chairman. Cortese left the club on Wednesday evening, with club owner Katharina Liebherr installing herself as non-executive chairwoman. Speaking in May, Pochettino had declared that he would leave the club if Cortese ever did, but he told reporters on Thursday that he wanted to remain in his position.
Syndicate content