Connect to share and comment

UK PM's former media chief tells court he heard hacked messages

By Michael Holden LONDON (Reuters) - Andy Coulson, the former media chief to British Prime Minister David Cameron, told a London court on Wednesday he had listened to a recording of hacked voicemail messages left by the country's then interior minister as far back as 2004. Coulson, who was editing Rupert Murdoch's now defunct News of the World tabloid at the time, is on trial for conspiring to hack into voicemail messages in a case that has shaken the media tycoon's empire and Britain's political elite.

UK tabloid ex-editor says only vaguely knew of phone-hacking

Former News of the World editor Andy Coulson told Britain's phone-hacking trial on Tuesday he was only vaguely aware of the practice during his time at the Murdoch tabloid. The defendant said he was never party to voicemail interception or in agreement with it. Coulson also said that as deputy editor in 2002, he did not know the voicemail of missing schoolgirl Milly Dowler -- later found murdered -- had been accessed.

British ex-counter-terror chief to probe schools Muslim 'plot'

Britain on Tuesday sent in a former counter-terror chief to investigate claims of an Islamist plot to take over schools in the second city of Birmingham. The education ministry has appointed Peter Clarke, who headed the police investigation into the July 7, 2005 London bombings, to conduct a probe into the allegations. The former head of Scotland Yard's Counter Terrorism Command will "analyse evidence of extremist infiltration" in Birmingham schools, the ministry said.

Coulson tells UK hacking trial Brooks fling was 'wrong'

Andy Coulson admitted his affair with fellow Murdoch newspaper editor Rebekah Brooks was "wrong", as he gave evidence for the first time Monday in Britain's long-running phone-hacking trial. The former editor of the now-defunct News of the World (NotW), who became Prime Minister David Cameron's communications chief, finally entered the witness box at the Old Bailey court in London, more than five months into the case. The 46-year-old, married father-of-three acknowledged the "pain" that the on-off relationship with co-defendant Brooks had caused his wife.

Coulson tells UK hacking trial Brooks fling was 'wrong'

Andy Coulson admitted his affair with fellow Murdoch newspaper editor Rebekah Brooks was wrong, as he gave evidence for the first time Monday in Britain's long-running phone-hacking trial. The former editor of the now-defunct News of the World (NotW), who became Prime Minister David Cameron's communications chief, finally entered the witness box at the Old Bailey court in London, more than five months into the case. The 46-year-old, married father-of-three acknowledged the "pain" that the on-off relationship with co-defendant Brooks had caused his wife.

Rupert Murdoch can see all-digital N.Y. Post in 10 years: report

(Reuters) - Media mogul Rupert Murdoch can envision his tabloid newspaper the New York Post as an all-digital publication in 10 years, he said during an interview with Fortune magazine published on Thursday. Murdoch, the chairman of News Corp and 21st Century Fox, acknowledged that the paper lost $40 million in 2012, hit by declines in advertising revenue. "We're looking at various plans for the Post. We are working very hard on the digital edition," he said.

Judge dismisses US lawsuit in News Corp. hacking case

A US federal judge dismissed a shareholder lawsuit against Rupert Murdoch and other executives of News Corp. alleging they withheld key information about the phone hacking scandal in Britain. Judge Paul Gardephe dismissed the case, saying the allegedly false statements were made prior to the period in question in the suit. But he left the door open to an amended complaint. "Nearly all of the purportedly false statements cited in the complaint were made prior to the start of the class period," the judge wrote in the opinion, dated Monday and made public Tuesday.

Prodigal son returns as Murdoch sets succession plan

Rupert Murdoch's prodigal son is back, with key roles in the family's media entertainment empire in what appears to be a succession plan for the 83-year-old tycoon. Lachlan Murdoch, 42, was named Wednesday as non-executive chairman at News Corp. and 21st Century Fox, the companies created when his father's conglomerate was split into publishing and entertainment arms. Murdoch also promoted another of his sons, 41-year-old James, to be co-chief operating officer of 21st Century Fox. He is a member of the board of News Corp.

Prodigal son Lachlan Murdoch gets key role in empire

Rupert Murdoch's prodigal son Lachlan is back, with key roles in the family's media-entertainment empire in what appears to be a succession plan for the 83-year-old tycoon. Lachlan Murdoch, 42, was named Wednesday as non-executive chairman at News Corp. and 21st Century Fox, the companies created when his father's conglomerate was split into publishing and entertainment arms. Murdoch also promoted another of his sons, 41-year-old James, to be co-chief operating officer of 21st Century Fox. He is a member of the board of News Corp.

Prodigal son Lachlan Murdoch gets key role in empire

Rupert Murdoch announced Wednesday that his son Lachlan will assume key roles in the two companies that make up his media-entertainment empire. The moves put the eldest Murdoch scion into leadership roles at the companies built by his 83-year-old father. Lachlan Murdoch's appointment comes years after he abruptly resigned from the family empire after clashing with other executives. He will become non-executive chairman at News Corp. and 21st Century Fox, the companies created when the conglomerate was split into publishing and entertainment segments.
Syndicate content