Connect to share and comment

Princess Diana leaked royal directories to Murdoch tabloid, court hears

By Michael Holden LONDON (Reuters) - The former royal editor of Rupert Murdoch's now defunct British tabloid the News of the World told a court on Thursday the late Princess Diana had given him a directory of royal phone numbers to get back at her then husband Prince Charles. Clive Goodman said the confidential directory which contained numbers of senior members of Britain's royal household was delivered to the newspaper's offices in 1992 when Diana was growing increasingly bitter about her husband.

Diana leaked royal directory to UK tabloid, court hears

The late Princess Diana leaked a royal phone directory to the now defunct News of the World tabloid, its former royal editor told Britain's phone-hacking trial on Thursday. Clive Goodman said that Diana sent him the information by post in 1992, the year she separated from her husband Prince Charles, the heir to the throne. "She was going through a very, very difficult time. She told me she wanted me to see the scale of her husband's staff and household, compared with others," Goodman told London's Old Bailey, where he is on trial.

Murdoch ex-editor Brooks blamed others for illegal activity, court hears

By Kate Holton LONDON (Reuters) - Rebekah Brooks, the former head of Rupert Murdoch's British newspapers, was accused in court on Wednesday of blaming all those around her when finally caught orchestrating an illegal campaign to get stories at any cost. Appearing in the witness stand for a 13th day, Brooks engaged in a tense standoff with lead prosecutor, Andrew Edis, who accused her of ordering staff to hack into phones, make illegal payments and then cover up their behavior as the police closed in.

Brooks denies phone-hacking cover-up at Murdoch's UK arm

By Michael Holden LONDON (Reuters) - Rupert Murdoch's former British newspaper boss, Rebekah Brooks, denied on Wednesday she was part of a cover-up to conceal the extent of phone-hacking at one of his tabloids, but agreed she had paid 1 million pounds ($1.67 million) to buy the silence of one outraged victim.

Rebekah Brooks denies hacking coverup, says she thought it was limited to a rogue reporter

LONDON - Former News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks on Wednesday denied covering up the wide extent of phone hacking at the newspaper, but acknowledged paying a PR guru 1 million pounds "in part" to stop allegations against the tabloid's editors coming out in court.

Brooks 'got death threats over dead girl's hacked phone'

Former News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks said on Tuesday she had received death threats after it was reported that murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler's mobile phone had been hacked. But Brooks, giving evidence for an eighth day in her trial, said she was also sent messages of support, including one from Britain's former prime minister Tony Blair. Brooks, 45, denies four charges including conspiracy to hack phones.

UK hacking furor turned into 'sexist witch hunt': Brooks

By Michael Holden LONDON (Reuters) - Rebekah Brooks, former boss of Rupert Murdoch's British newspaper arm, told a London court on Tuesday the media mogul had persuaded her not to quit amid public revulsion over the hacking of a murdered schoolgirl's phone.

UK tabloid ex-editor tells of payments to public officials

Rebekah Brooks, who edited Rupert Murdoch's British tabloids, told her trial Thursday that she had sanctioned payments to public officials for stories with an "overwhelming public interest". Brooks told the phone-hacking trial that she had permitted such payments on a "handful" of occasions between 1998 and 2009, when she edited global media baron Murdoch's daily The Sun and its weekly sister title News of the World.

Ex-editor Rebekah Brooks tells trial she was horrified to learn of phone hacking

LONDON - Former News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks said Tuesday that she never sanctioned phone hacking, and was horrified when she learned the tabloid had targeted the cellphone of a missing teenager. When asked by her lawyer whether she had ever approved eavesdropping on voicemails, Brooks answered "no". She said that as editor of the Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid between 2000 and 2003 she didn't know phone hacking was against the law, but would have considered it a "serious breach of privacy."

US judge considers sending Angelina Jolie stuntwoman's phone hacking lawsuit to UK

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - A federal judge in Los Angeles suggested Monday that Great Britain would be the proper place for a Hollywood stuntwoman to pursue a lawsuit against News Corp. and related companies over alleged phone hacking. But after hearing legal arguments, U.S. District Judge Michael Fitzgerald said he would consider it further.
Syndicate content