Connect to share and comment

EU launches Central Africa military operation

The European Union officially launched its delayed military mission to the Central African Republic on Tuesday, seeking to bolster French and African forces that have failed to end months of Christian-Muslim violence. The 1,000-strong force, dubbed EUFOR RCA, will work to restore security to the capital Bangui during a six-month mission, with a view to handing over to a United Nations peacekeeping operation or African troops, the EU said.

Nairobi blasts kill at least six

Three almost simultaneous blasts in the main Somali district of the Kenyan capital Nairobi Monday left at least six people dead and scores injured, said police, raising suspicions of terrorism. "We are here at a crime scene. Of course we suspect it is a terrorist attack," Nairobi police commander Benson Kibue told reporters. "The injuries number 25 -- they are in various hospitals -- and we have retrieved six bodies," he said.

Nairobi blast kills at least five

A blast in Eastleigh, the main Somali district of the Kenyan capital Nairobi, killed at least five people Monday, an official at the national disaster operations centre said. "Police are securing the area for emergency response services," the official said. Eastleigh has in recent years been the scene of several explosions usually attributed by the police to Islamist extremists.

UN chief condemns C.Africa violence

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday condemned fresh violence in the Central African Republic over the weekend, calling for civilians to be protected at all times, a spokesman said. Ban also called for the compilation of a list of individuals who "act to undermine peace, stability and security" as set out by a UN Security Council resolution adopted in December last year. The statement said the UN leader was "concerned by the upsurge" in violence in the country, but did not refer directly to the killings of 24 people by Chadian soldiers in Bangui at the weekend.

UN chief condemns C.Africa violence

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday condemned fresh violence in the Central African Republic over the weekend, calling for civilians to be protected at all times, a spokesman said. Ban also called for the compilation of a list of individuals who "act to undermine peace, stability and security" as set out by a UN Security Council resolution adopted in December last year. The statement said the UN leader was "concerned by the upsurge" in violence in the country, but did not refer directly to the killings of 24 people by Chadian soldiers in Bangui at the weekend.

Nairobi blast kills at least five

A blast in Eastleigh, the main Somali district of the Kenyan capital Nairobi, killed at least five people Monday, an official at the national disaster operations centre said. "Police are securing the area for emergency response services," the official said. Eastleigh has in recent years been the scene of several explosions usually attributed by the police to Islamist extremists. mom-hv/jmm

Ebola outbreak in Guinea an 'unprecedented epidemic'

Aid organisation Doctors Without Borders said Monday an Ebola outbreak suspected of killing at least 78 people in Guinea was an "unprecedented epidemic" that had spread across the west African nation. "We are facing an epidemic of a magnitude never before seen in terms of the distribution of cases in the country: Gueckedou, Macenta, Kissidougou, Nzerekore, and now Conakry," Mariano Lugli, the organisation's coordinator in the Guinean capital, said in a statement. cs/stb/ft/gd

Ebola outbreak in Guinea an 'unprecedented epidemic'

Aid organisation Doctors Without Borders said Monday an Ebola outbreak suspected of killing at least 78 people in Guinea was an "unprecedented epidemic" that had spread across the west African nation. "We are facing an epidemic of a magnitude never before seen in terms of the distribution of cases in the country: Gueckedou, Macenta, Kissidougou, Nzerekore, and now Conakry," Mariano Lugli, the organisation's coordinator in the Guinean capital, said in a statement. cs/stb/ft/gd

Ten dead as Chadian troops open fire on Bangui civilians - officials

BANGUI (Reuters) - At least 10 people were killed and dozens wounded when Chadian troops opened fire on civilians in Central African Republic's capital Bangui, officials said on Sunday. The troops were driving into the city, scarred by religious conflict over the past year, to escort a convoy of Muslims back to Chad, having earlier crossed the countries' border some 500 km (300 miles) to the north in about 15 army vehicles.

Chadian troops kill at least 8 people in CAR capital: African force

Chadian soldiers sent to repatriate their compatriots from the Central African Republic opened fire on residents in Bangui, killing at least eight people, the African peacekeeping force MISCA said Sunday. The incident happened on Saturday when some Chadian soldiers "opened fire on residents of the northern neighbourhoods (in Bangui), leaving at least eight people dead and several wounded," an officer with the MISCA force who requested anonymity told AFP.
Syndicate content