Connect to share and comment

Domenicali quits as Ferrari F1 chief

Rome, Apr 14 (EFE).- Stefano Domenicali resigned on Monday as head of racing at Ferrari, including the company's storied but now-struggling Formula One team. "It is time for a significant change. As the boss, I take responsibility, as I have always done, for our current situation," he said in a statement. Ferrari named Marco Mattiacci, president and chief executive of its North American operations, to succeed Domenicali, who became the marque's sporting director in 2008.

Domenicali resigns as Ferrari F1 boss

By Alan Baldwin (Reuters) - Stefano Domenicali resigned as Ferrari's Formula One team principal on Monday with the company's North America president and chief executive Marco Mattiacci appointed as his replacement. The Italian glamour team, the oldest and most successful in the sport, have made a poor start to the season with two fourth places for Spaniard Fernando Alonso the team's best results in three races so far.

Formula One: Ferrari F1 boss Domenicali quits

Ferrari's Formula One boss Stefano Domenicali quit on Monday following the Italian team's disappointing start to the 2014 season. "Ferrari notes the resignation of Stefano Domenicali and thanks him for having served the company ... for 23 years," a company statement said. Domenicali, Ferrari's team principal since 2008, has shouldered the blame for the F1 giant's poor show in the opening three races with drivers Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen failing to produce a top three finish. eba/nr/tw

Auto racing: Conway avoids trouble to claim Long Beach race

Mike Conway captured the Grand Prix of Long Beach for the second time on Sunday, denying pole sitter Ryan Hunter-Reay who got knocked out in a multi-car crash. Englishman Conway, who started from the 17th spot, seized the lead from Scott Dixon with just two laps remaining then held off Will Power for the IndyCar Series victory. After dodging the smash, Conway climbed to second before Dixon had to pit because he was short on fuel.

Schumacher showing 'small signs of progress'

Michael Schumacher is "showing small signs of progress", his spokeswoman said Sunday, with the Formula One legend slowly recovering from devastating brain injuries suffered in a ski accident. "There are short moments of consciousness and he is showing small signs of progress," Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm told German broadcaster ARD. "There are moments when he is awake and moments when he is conscious, which make us happy and give us great courage.

Schumacher showing 'small signs of progress'

Michael Schumacher is "showing small signs of progress", his spokeswoman said Sunday, with the Formula One legend slowly recovering from devastating brain injuries suffered in a ski accident. "There are short moments of consciousness and he is showing small signs of progress," Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm told German broadcaster ARD. "There are moments when he is awake and moments when he is conscious.

Auto racing: Hunter-Reay grabs pole in Long Beach

Ryan Hunter-Reay claimed his sixth career pole by holding off teammate James Hinchcliffe on Saturday at the Grand Prix of Long Beach. The American completed his lap around this 1.968-mile, 11-turn temporary street circuit in one minute, 7.8219 seconds to take the top starting position for Sunday's IndyCar race. Hunter-Reay also claimed his first pole at Long Beach. The 2012 IndyCar champion had qualified second here in 2010, 2011 and 2013.

Formula One: Red Bull look to overturn Ricciardo penalty

World champions Red Bull believe they can overturn Daniel Ricciardo's Australian Grand Prix disqualification on Monday and reinvigorate their 2014 challenge. The FIA's International Court of Appeal will meet in Paris to decide whether or not to reinstate Ricciardo's second-place finish in Melbourne. He was stripped of his place after the team were found guilty of breaching fuel flow regulations.

Haas Formula One entry accepted by FIA

By Alan Baldwin (Reuters) - Formula One could have an American constructor on the starting grid next year after the governing FIA approved an entry for NASCAR team owner Gene Haas on Friday. The International Automobile Federation said it was also considering another application made by former F1 team principal Colin Kolles.

Formula One: NASCAR team chief Haas gets F1 go-ahead

Gene Haas, who already heads his own NASCAR outfit in the United States, has had his application to enter a team in the Formula One world championship accepted, the FIA confirmed on Friday. The FIA's World Motor Sport Council, meeting in Marrakech, also said that other high-standard applications had been submitted and that they are in the process of further examining another potential new team, Forza Rossa. Haas, 61, will bring plenty of experience to Formula One when his team lines up for a planned 2015 start.
Syndicate content