Connect to share and comment

Tennis: Del Potro to undergo wrist surgery

Juan Martin del Potro will undergo surgery Monday on his troublesome left wrist after a visit to his US doctors in Minnesota, the player announced. The Argentine world number eight has been bothered by the problem since early January when he first felt pain in an opening match at the Australian Open a few days after winning the Sydney tournament title. He withdrew from events in Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami.

Del Potro to have wrist surgery, miss season: report

BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - Former U.S. Open champion Juan Martin del Potro will undergo a second wrist operation in four years on Monday and miss the rest of the season, Argentine media reported. Del Potro, who pulled out of the Miami tournament this week, will have surgery on his left wrist which he uses for his backhand, having had an operation on his right wrist in May 2010.

Tennis: Del Potro, Murray provide Miami off-court drama

The Miami Masters offered up a pair of off-court surprises Wednesday as Juan Martin del Potro withdrew and Wimbledon champion Andy Murray split with coach Ivan Lendl. The loss of eighth seed del Potro, still suffering with the left wrist injury that has compromised his season, could deliver a box-office blow to the event with plenty of South American supporters in the Miami area.

Tennis: Del Potro out of Miami with wrist injury

Former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro withdrew from the ATP Miami hardcourt tournament on Wednesday, citing the left wrist injury that has nagged him for several weeks. The eighth-seeded Argentina star, who has been forced to pull out or retire in his past three events, was replaced in the 96-man field by German lucky loser Benjamin Becker. "I still feel pain in my left wrist and I don't feel competitive to go on court," Del Potro said. "It's a pity because this is a special tournament for me since there are many Latin fans and Argentines in particular.

Tennis: Injured Del Potro pulls out of Indian Wells

Sixth-seeded Argentinian Juan Martin del Potro pulled out of the Indian Wells Masters on Sunday with a left wrist injury. The same injury had forced the world number seven to retire from his first round match in Dubai last month. "It's still hurting a lot, I'm not feeling 100 percent, I'm not in good condition to compete," 2013 finalist del Potro said in a hastily-arranged press conference at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden. He had been slated to play Spain's Feliciano Lopez in a second-round match on Sunday after enjoying a first-round bye.

Tennis star Rafa Nadal to receive honorary doctorate from Spanish university

Palma de Mallorca, Spain, Mar 4 (EFE).- Spanish tennis star Rafael Nadal will be awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of the Balearic Islands, or UIB, in recognition of his athletic achievements and the values he has upheld during his career, the higher education institution said. Nadal, who was born and makes his home in Manacor, a town on the Balearic Island of Mallorca, has shown a commitment to excellence, making him "one of the greatest athletes of all time," UIB said in a statement.

Argentina's Del Potro drops to No. 7 in ATP rankings

Madrid, Mar 3 (EFE).- The Czech Republic's Tomas Berdych and Britain's Andy Murray moved up one spot each to fifth and sixth, respectively, in the ATP rankings, while Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro fell two slots to No. 7. The 25-year-old Del Potro reinjured his left wrist at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships last week. Del Potro had to retire last Tuesday from his first-round match at the hard-court event, which was won by Switzerland's Roger Federer.

Argentina's Del Potro drops to No. 7 in ATP rankings

Madrid, Mar 3 (EFE).- The Czech Republic's Tomas Berdych and Britain's Andy Murray moved up one spot each to fifth and sixth, respectively, in the ATP rankings, while Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro fell two slots to No. 7. The 25-year-old Del Potro reinjured his left wrist at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships last week. Del Potro had to retire last Tuesday from his first-round match at the hard-court event, which was won by Switzerland's Roger Federer.

Del Potro, frustrated over injury setback, thanks fans for support

Buenos Aires, Feb 26 (EFE).- Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro on Wednesday thanked his fans for the outpouring of support he has received since reinjuring his left wrist at this week's Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships. "First of all I want to thank you for the support that is coming from all over the world," Del Potro, who retired Tuesday from his first-round match at that hard-court event, said in a message to his fans on his Facebook page.

Tennis: Berdych moves closer to fulfilling a goal

Tomas Berdych's determined journey into the quarter-finals of the Dubai Open has enhanced his chances of reaching the final for a second successive year - but he has a clear target in mind. The world number six from the Czech Republic is the only top 10 player not to have won a title last year, although an overwhelming 6-2, 6-1 victory over Sergiy Stakhovsky on Wednesday hinted how his chances of remedying that early this year are improving.
Syndicate content