Connect to share and comment

Tennis: Del Potro threatened by injury again

Juan Martin Del Potro, the former US Open champion who became the ATP Tour's comeback player of the year after recovering from a career-threatening wrist injury, has been struck down by a similar injury again. The courageous and usually hard-hitting Argentine lasted little more than an hour and only one set in the Dubai Open, before requiring lengthy treatment after which he called it quits.

Tennis: Del Potro threatened by injury again

Juan Martin Del Potro, the former US Open champion who became the ATP Tour's comeback player of the year after recovering from a career-threatening wrist injury, has been struck down by a similar injury again. The courageous and usually hard-hitting Argentine lasted little more than an hour and only one set in the Dubai Open, before requiring lengthy treatment after which he called it quits.

Tennis: Djokovic begins his quest for titles again

Novak Djokovic returned to his quest for titles after one of the biggest disappointments of his career with a hard-hitting, straight sets success before a packed stadium at the Dubai Open. The 6-3, 6-3 victory over Denis Istomen, a talented world number 53 from Uzbekistan, was ideal competitive rehabilitation for the seven-time former Grand Slam winner after the loss of his Australian Open title to Stanislas Wawrinka in the semi-finals at Melbourne.

Unhappy Del Potro says won't play Davis Cup this year

BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - Juan Martin del Potro said on Monday he will not play in Argentina's Davis Cup playoff tie in September due to his differences with the Argentine Tennis Association (AAT). Argentina, who have reached four finals - including three since 2006 - must play off against as yet unknown opponents to retain their world group status having been upset by Italy in the first round in Mar del Plata two weeks ago.

Tennis: Del Potro refuses to play Davis Cup

Former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro announced Monday he would not be playing Davis Cup tennis for Argentina this year amid an ongoing dispute with his country's federation. "I will not be playing in the rest of the 2014 Davis Cup season," the 25-year-old said in a statement. "In November, I published a letter in which I expressed my disagreement with the hypocrisy surrounding the Davis Cup. Since then, nothing has changed. It has even got worse," added Del Potro, currently world number 5.

Tennis: Top seeds Potro and Murray tumble by same scoreline

Top seed Juan Martin del Potro and number two Andy Murray were both knocked out of the Rotterdam World Tennis in quarter-final upsets on Friday by the same 6-3, 6-4 scorelines. Latvian Ernests Gulbis ended del Potro's winning run when he beat the top seed, while unseeded Croatian Marin Cilic won his eighth match in a row this season with Murray his latest victim. The Scot had claimed victory in nine of their 10 previous matches but was well off his game as he went out in 71 minutes, losing serve once in each set.

Del Potro, Murray bounced out of Rotterdam

International Sports Desk, Feb 14 (EFE).- Latvia's Ernests Gulbis eliminated Argentine Juan Martin del Potro from the ABN Amro World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam, hitting 12 aces in a 6-3, 6-4 victory in Friday's quarterfinals, while Scotland's Andy Murray was upset by Marin Cilic. Gulbis got revenge for his round-of-16 loss in last year's edition of this Dutch indoor hard-court event to Del Potro, who went on to win the title.

Tennis: Top seeds Potro and Murray tumble by same scoreline

Top seed Juan Martin del Potro and number two Andy Murray were both knocked out of the Rotterdam World Tennis in quarter-final upsets on Friday by the same 6-3, 6-4 scorelines. Latvian Ernests Gulbis ended del Potro's winning run when he beat the top seed, while unseeded Croatian Marin Cilic won his eighth match in a row this season with Murray his latest victim. The Scot had claimed victory in nine of their 10 previous matches but was well off his game as he went out in 71 minutes, losing serve once in each set.

Tennis: Top seeds Potro and Murray tumble by same scoreline

Top seed Juan Martin del Potro and number two Andy Murray were both knocked out of the Rotterdam World Tennis in quarter-final upsets on Friday by the same 6-3, 6-4 scorelines. Latvian Ernests Gulbis ended del Potro's winning run when he beat the top seed, while unseeded Croatian Marin Cilic won his eighth match in a row this season with Murray his latest victim. The Scot had claimed victory in nine of their 10 previous matches but was well off his game as he went out in 71 minutes, losing serve once in each set.

Tennis: Gulbis upsets ailing Del Potro to reach semis

Ernests Gulbis ended Juan Martin del Potro's winning run when he beat the top seed 6-3, 6-4 in a quarter-final upset at the Rotterdam World Tennis on Friday. Gulbis, the world number 24 from Latvia, will face third seed Tomas Berdych in the semi-finals after the Czech defeated Poland's Jerzy Janowicz 6-7 (9/11), 6-2, 6-4 in a hard-fought victory which took nearly two-and-a-half hours. In his last five tournaments as the top seed, defending champion Del Potro had won five titles and 23 straight matches.
Syndicate content