Connect to share and comment

Third blast near Cairo University

A third blast struck near police and journalists gathered outside Cairo University close to where an earlier twin bombing killed a police general on Wednesday, an AFP correspondent on the scene said. The blast struck near the gates of the university in the centre of the Egyptian capital and close to a roundabout where the two bombs exploded close to police posts. ht-se/hc

Police brigadier-general killed in Cairo blasts

CAIRO (Reuters) - An Egyptian police brigadier-general was killed in two blasts outside Cairo University on Wednesday, state television reported. Four police officers were wounded in what security officials said was an attack on a police vehicle. (Writing by Michael Georgy; Editing by Janet Lawrence)

One person killed in third blast at Cairo University: officials

CAIRO (Reuters) - One person was killed in a third explosion at Cairo University on Wednesday shortly after twin bombs killed a police brigadier general there, security officials said. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the violence but Islamist militants have carried out similar operations against police and soldiers. (Writing by Michael Georgy; Editing by Alison Williams)

Third blast heard at Cairo University: Reuters witness

CAIRO (Reuters) - Another explosion was heard at Cairo University on Wednesday after a twin bombing killed a police brigadier-general, a Reuters witness said. There were no immediate reports of casualties after the third explosion. (Writing by Michael Georgy; Editing by John Stonestreet)

Gunmen kill Egyptian police general in Cairo

Gunmen on a motorbike shot dead Tuesday an Egyptian police general in Cairo, who was also an aide to the interior minister, security officials and medics said. General Mohamed Saeed died in hospital after he was shot in his head and chest, officials said, adding that the assailants fled after the attack. ht-jds/hkb

One killed in second Cairo bombing: state TV

A bomb near a Cairo metro station killed at least one person Friday, hours after a car bomb struck police headquarters in the Egyptian capital, killing four, state media reported. The second bomb also wounded 15 people, state television said. se/kir

Australian government rejects Archer Daniels Midland's proposed acquisition of GrainCorp

The Australian government has rejected Archer Daniels Midland Co.'s bid to acquire grain handler GrainCorp Ltd, saying the proposed buyout would be contrary to the national interest. ADM, which owns a nearly 20 per cent stake in GrainCorp, offered to buy the remaining 80 per cent interest in the company last year. A sweetened offer in May amounted to 12.20 Australian dollars ($12.63) a share in cash, giving all of GrainCorp a value of 3.4 billion Australian dollars.

Egypt postpones police trial in protester deaths case

A Cairo court on Tuesday postponed the trial of four policemen accused of killing 37 Islamist prisoners in August, judicial sources said. The next hearing will be held on November 12, they said. The trial is the first of policemen accused of killings in a massive crackdown on Islamists which followed the army's July 3 ouster of democratically elected president Mohamed Morsi. The officers are charged with manslaughter. They include the deputy head of a Cairo police station from where the prisoners were being transferred.

ADM: Illinois set precedent for deals by giving tax breaks to Sears, other companies

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - Archer Daniels Midland Company said Tuesday that perks Illinois gave to Sears Holdings Corp. and other companies set a precedent that ADM would like to see followed as it tries to get tax breaks. ADM has announced plans to move its headquarters from Decatur, Ill., but hasn't settled on a new location yet. The Illinois General Assembly is considering giving the company up to $24 million in tax breaks to stay in the state.

ADM, seeking global HQ, visits Minnesota: state official

By Tom Polansek CHICAGO (Reuters) - Archer Daniels Midland Co met with Minnesota officials to discuss moving the agricultural trading house's global headquarters to the state from Illinois, a Minnesota official said on Tuesday. An ADM "site selection team" met with officials from Minnesota's Department of Employment and Economic Development in St. Paul, Minnesota, on Monday, said Madeline Koch, director of communications for the agency. "We're just aggressively pursuing a deal," she said.
Syndicate content