Connect to share and comment

Sinopec suspends posts of two executives following fatal pipeline blast

BEIJING, Nov. 27 (Xinhua) -- The China PetroChemical Corporation (Sinopec Group) announced late Wednesday that it has decided to suspend the posts of two company executives following a fatal oil pipeline blast that killed 55 in the east China city of Qingdao on Friday.

China energy companies to pay higher safety costs: HSBC

BEIJING, Nov. 27 (Xinhua) -- Chinese energy companies are set to pay much higher safety costs for their operating systems in the future, following Friday's deadly oil pipeline blast in east China, banking giant HSBC has said. Because oil and gas are volatile and combustible products, great care must be exercised at all times in producing, transporting, storing and processing these commodities, HSBC said in a report emailed to Xinhua on Wednesday. "This accident is likely to build in much higher safety costs into these systems going forward," it said.

Sinopec reshuffles refineries, diverts tankers after blast

By Judy Hua and Chen Aizhu BEIJING (Reuters) - Asia's top oil refiner Sinopec <0386.HK><600028.SS> has cut production for at least two of its refineries in China's eastern Shandong province after the pipeline blast which killed 55 people on Friday, industry sources said. The adjustments are part of a juggling of oil refining operations across its plants after the disaster, which has sparked a public backlash and an apology from Sinopec, saying it will conduct safety checks on all its more than 30,000 km of pipelines.

China launches sweeping probe as Sinopec blast toll rises

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - China has launched a broad investigation into safety at oil and gas pipelines, state media reported on Monday, as the death toll from an explosion at a Sinopec pipeline last week rose to 52. The blast at the eastern oil hub of Qingdao on Friday was China Petroleum & Chemical Corp's (Sinopec) deadliest known accident and is one of the worst publicly reported industrial disasters in China this year.

China oil pipeline explosion toll rises to 52

The death toll from an oil pipeline explosion in a Chinese coastal city rose to 52 Sunday, as rain and the close proximity of dangerous gases hampered the rescue operation, state media said. Four bodies were found at the scene in the eastern city of Qingdao, Xinhua state news agency said, citing rescuers, raising the death toll from 48 late Saturday. Friday's blast ripped up roads and sent thick black smoke billowing into the sky, resulting in 18,000 people being evacuated from nearby urban areas.

Chinese President Xi visits those injured from oil pipeline blasts, as death toll rises to 52

BEIJING, China - China's president on Sunday visited hospitalized victims of deadly explosions that ripped through residential and commercial roads from a ruptured pipeline owned by the country's largest oil refiner. The official death toll from the blasts rose to 52 earlier in the day after rescuers found more bodies in the aftermath of Friday's industrial accident in eastern China. Eleven people were still missing, according to the information office of the government of the port city of Qingdao.

Death toll from oil pipeline blast in northern China rises to 52

The death toll from the explosion of a underground oil pipeline Friday in the major coastal city Qingdao in northern China has risen to 52 with 11 people still missing, Chinese media said Sunday. More than 130 people injured in the blast are still receiving treatment at hospital. President Xi Jinping visited the Qingdao hospital on Sunday and talked with victims of the blast, Chinese state-run television CCTV said.

Fears of new China pipeline blast force 18,000 to evacuate homes

Beijing, Nov 23 (EFE).- Around 18,000 people have been forced to evacuate their homes for fear of a second explosion at a pipeline in the eastern Chinese port city of Qingdao, where a first blast left 46 dead and 136 injured, at least half of them seriously. Two of the city's districts are still without power due to the explosion, while local authorities say they are providing food, water and shelter to the evacuees. Friday's blast occurred at around 10:30 a.m. in the Huangdao district when workers were repairing a leak that had begun earlier that morning.

Qingdao oil flow halted as explosion toll hits 47

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Crude pipelines have been shut-off in the eastern Chinese oil hub of Qingdao pending safety checks a day after a leak triggered a huge explosion that killed 47 people, a refinery official and state media said on Saturday. Qingdao is one of China's largest crude oil import terminals, supplying at least two major Sinopec Corp refineries - the Qingdao plant and Sinopec Qilu Petrochemical Corp - as well as many small, independent refineries.

China oil pipeline explosion toll rises to 44

The death toll from an oil pipeline explosion in the Chinese coastal city of Qingdao rose to 44 Saturday, according to an updated report published by local authorities. The blast ripped roads apart, turning cars over and sending thick black smoke billowing over the city, pictures showed. The last toll, published Friday evening, was 35 dead and 166 injured.
Syndicate content