Connect to share and comment

Top toxic sites in Anadarko Petroleum settlement

Top toxic sites among thousands that are part of the $5.15 billion settlement with Anadarko Petroleum Corp. with approximate amount of funding for cleanup efforts and details about the sites, as provided by the Justice Department: —Henderson, Nev.: $1.118 billion for prospective cleanup costs. Groundwater at a former chemical manufacturing facility in Henderson, Nev., has been impacted by hexavalent chromium and perchlorate, a chemical used to produce rocket fuel, due to the since the 1940s. —Navajo Abandoned Uranium Mines: $985 million for prospective cleanup costs.

Russia says Iran, world powers far apart on uranium enrichment

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The positions of Iran and six global powers seeking to rein in its nuclear program are "far apart" on the issue of uranium enrichment, Interfax news agency quoted the Russian negotiator as saying on Thursday after the latest round of talks this week. Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said Iran and the powers agree that a solution should be based on an interim agreement reached in November but that Iran had "very far-reaching demands" on enrichment, Interfax reported.

Activists face sentencing for Tennessee nuclear facility break-in

By Melodi Erdogan KNOXVILLE, Tennessee (Reuters) - An elderly nun and two other peace activists are set to be sentenced on Tuesday on their federal convictions for damage they caused breaking into a Tennessee defense facility where enriched uranium for nuclear bombs is stored. Sister Megan Rice, Michael Walli, and Greg Boertje-Obed admitted cutting fences and making their way across the Y-12 National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, in July 2012, embarrassing U.S. officials and prompting security changes.

Iran says 20% uranium enrichment suspended

Iran on Monday suspended the production of 20 percent uranium enrichment in the presence of UN nuclear watchdog inspectors, a senior official announced. "In line with the implementation of the Geneva joint plan of action, Iran suspended the production of 20 percent enriched uranium in the presence of UN nuclear watchdog inspectors at Natanz and Fordo sites," Mohammad Amiri, director general for safeguards at Iran's Atomic Energy Organisation, told the official IRNA news agency. str/cyj/bpz

Iran to halt 20% enriched uranium by noon Monday

Iran's nuclear chief Ali Akbar Salehi said the Islamic republic would halt production of 20 percent enriched uranium by noon (0830 GMT) on Monday, the official IRNA news agency reported. "Voluntarily halting the production of 20 percent uranium enrichment is the major measure that we are undertaking on Monday by noon," Salehi said, referring to a landmark nuclear deal clinched in November between Iran and world powers. str/cyj/bpz

Iran to get first $550 mn of blocked funds in February

Iran will get a first installment around February 1 of $550 million of $4.2 billion being unblocked under a six-month landmark nuclear deal with the West, a US official said Sunday. "The installment schedule starts on Feb. 1 and the payments are evenly distributed" across 180 days, a senior US administration official told AFP. "That means the installment payments are every 34 days, except the last payment happens on day 180, which is 33 days after the 5th installment payment," the official said in an email, asking not to be named.

Iran to hold new nuclear talks with powers next week

Iran is to hold new talks with major powers on its nuclear programme next week, buoyed by a landmark interim deal reached last month, the foreign ministry said on Tuesday. The talks will be joined by representatives of the UN nuclear watchdog, which is charged with overseeing implementation of the deal under which Iran agreed to roll back parts of its programme in return for limited relief from Western sanctions, ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham said.

Iran says no deal without right to enrich uranium

Iran will not sign up to a nuclear deal with world powers unless they accept its right to enrich uranium, its chief negotiator to talks in Geneva said Thursday. "No deal that does not include the right to uranium enrichment from start to finish will be accepted," Abbas Araghchi said on his Twitter account, quoted by official news agency IRNA. sgh/cyj/hc/bpz

Iran says will not suspend uranium enrichment

GENEVA (Reuters) - Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi, speaking a day after talks with world powers resumed in Geneva, told reporters on Thursday Iran would not suspend its uranium enrichment activities, saying it was a "red line" for the Islamic state. "We have lost our trust ... we cannot enter serious talks until the trust is restored. But that doesn't mean that we will stop negotiations," he said. (Reporting by Parisa Hafezi; Editing by Janet Lawrence)

Iran sees 'lack of trust' at Geneva nuclear talks

Iran's chief negotiator warned Thursday of a lingering "lack of trust" at nuclear talks in Geneva with world powers and insisted they accept its right to enrich uranium. "The main obstacle is the lack of trust because of what happened at the last round," said Abbas Araghchi, referring to talks in early November when major powers toughened the terms of a draft accord. "As long as trust is not restored, we cannot continue constructive negotiations," Araghchi told state television.
Syndicate content