Connect to share and comment

Captain in Italy cruise ship crash to go on trial in July

The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship will go on trial from July 9 for manslaughter over the January 2012 disaster in which 32 people lost their lives, an Italian judge ruled Wednesday. Francesco Schettino has also been accused of abandoning the giant vessel before all 4,229 people on board had been evacuated. Judge Pietro Morino dismissed a request for Schettino's acquittal on this charge, as well as a request for new evaluations. The documentation provided by the prosecution contains "more than enough" indications of guilt to justify a trial, Morino said.

Captain in Italy cruise ship crash to go on trial in July

The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship will go on trial from July 9 for manslaughter over the January 2012 disaster in which 32 people lost their lives, an Italian judge ruled on Wednesday. Francesco Schettino has also been accused of abandoning the giant vessel, which crashed into a Tuscan island and keeled over, before all 4,229 people on board had been evacuated. The trial will be held in Grosseto, the city nearest to the site of the tragedy.

Viking Cruises, known for river trips, announces new cruise line for ocean-going ships

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Viking Cruises, a company known for offering river cruises, on Friday announced that it was launching a new cruise line for ocean-going trips. Viking's first ocean-going ship, Viking Star, will make its first voyages in 2015 to Scandinavia, the Baltic region and the Mediterranean. Viking has expanded rapidly in recent years, christening 10 new river ships in March of this year with 12 more new river ships planned to launch in 2014.

TUI ups forecasts, despite wider Q2 loss

German travel and tourism giant TUI said Wednesday that its net loss widened in the second quarter, but it was nevertheless upgrading its full-year forecasts. TUI, which operates its business year from October to September, said in a statement it booked net loss of 248.4 million euros ($320 million) in the period from January to March, compared with a loss of 185.2 million euros a year earlier.

Italian prosecutors pursue trial for Costa Concordia officers

By Silvia Ognibene GROSSETO, Italy (Reuters) - An Italian judge began hearing a request on Monday to send the former captain of the Costa Concordia and five other ship's officers to trial over the accident which sank the liner with the loss of 32 lives in January 2012. Prosecutors are seeking to have the 52-year-old captain, Francesco Schettino, tried on charges including manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship.

Italian prosecutors pursue trial for Costa Concordia officers

By Silvia Ognibene GROSSETO, Italy (Reuters) - Italian prosecutors on Monday launched a case to put officers of the Costa Concordia on trial for the accident in which the giant cruise ship ran aground and capsized off the coast of Tuscany last year, killing 32 people. Prosecutors argued at a preliminary hearing that ex-captain Francesco Schettino should be tried on charges including manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship in the accident. If convicted, Schettino could face 20 years in jail.

Cruise ship disaster pre-trial hearings begin in Italy

The deadly Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster returned to court in Italy on Monday with the start of a long series of indictment hearings against six suspects including captain Francesco Schettino. Thirty-two people lost their lives, including a five-year-old Italian girl, when the giant luxury liner crashed into an Italian island on the night of January 13, 2012. The chief suspect is Schettino who is accused of multiple manslaughter, causing a shipwreck, misinforming coast guards during the rescue operation and abandoning the ship.

Cruise ship disaster pre-trial hearings due in Italy

The deadly Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster returns to court in Italy on Monday with the start of a long series of indictment hearings against six suspects including captain Francesco Schettino. Among the five crew members accused by prosecutors is the luxury liner's Indonesian helmsman Jacob Rusli Bin, suspected of contributing to the tragedy by misunderstanding a command moments before the crash Thirty-two people lost their lives in the accident, including a five-year-old girl.

Three luxury cruise ships visit Oman's Port Sultan Qaboos

Three luxury cruise ships - Costa Deliziosa, Seabourn Pride and Serenade of the Seas - visited Port Sultan Qaboos recently with a total of 4,566 passengers on board.A press release stated that Costa Deliziosa belongs to Costa Crociere, the largest Italian travel group and Europe's number one cruise company which owns 26 large vessels, while the Bahamian-flagged Seabourn Pride belongs to Seabourn Cruise Line and Serenade of the Seas belongs to the Royal Caribbean Line.Further, the release added that the tourists on board the vessels visited Oman’s tourist spots and experienced

Carnival cruise group expanding in Asia

Carnival, the world's largest cruise group, unveiled its Asian expansion plans on Tuesday, predicting the regional market for leisure voyages will grow dramatically within the decade. Southeast Asia in particular will be a key focus, the company said as it announced that one of its brands, Princess Cruises, will operate from Singapore by next year to provide short-haul leisure trips.
Syndicate content