Connect to share and comment

115 Nigeria schoolgirls still missing after kidnap

A Nigerian school principal on Thursday denied military reports that most of the girls kidnapped from her school by Islamist gunmen were now safe, as the parents of those taken voiced anger over the conflicting claims. The defence ministry and the government in Borno state, where the attack took place, have said that 129 girls were abducted by Boko Haram militants from a secondary school in the Chibok area late Monday.

Nigeria parents demand answers after military says hostages freed

Anxious Nigerian parents demanded answers on Thursday about the fate of their daughters after the military claimed that 121 schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram Islamic extremists were now free. Defence spokesman Chris Olukolade had initially said that 129 girls were abducted by gunmen in the Chibok area of the northeastern Borno state late Monday. The mass kidnap -- which has sparked global outrage -- came just hours after the deadliest attack ever in the capital Abuja, where a bomb blast also blamed on Boko Haram killed at least 75 people.

Nigerian military says most of abducted schoolgirls freed, eight still missing

By Lanre Ola and Isaac Abrak MAIDUGURI/ABUJA (Reuters) - Nigeria's military said on Wednesday its forces had freed most of the more than 100 teenage schoolgirls abducted by Islamist Boko Haram militants and were continuing the search for eight students still missing. In a brief statement sent to media, spokesman Major General Chris Olukolade said one of the "terrorists" involved in Monday's abduction of female students from the Chibok government secondary school in northeast Borno state had been captured.

Nigerian military says most of abducted schoolgirls freed

ABUJA (Reuters) - Nigeria's military said on Wednesday its forces had freed most of the schoolgirls abducted by Islamist Boko Haram militants, and were continuing the search for eight students still missing. "With this development, the Principal of the school has confirmed that only 8 of the students are still missing," armed forces spokesman Major General Chris Olukolade said in a statement sent to media. He did not specify exactly how many of the girls had been rescued, but said one of the "terrorists" involved in the abduction had been captured.

Kidnapped Nigeria girls taken to Islamist stronghold

The Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram were taken to a stronghold of the Islamist group, parents said on Wednesday, as the security forces pressed on with a search to find the hostages. The defence ministry has confirmed that 129 girls were taken by gunmen in the northeastern state of Borno late Monday, just hours after a bomb ripped through a packed bus station on the outskirts of Abuja, killing 75 people, the deadliest attack ever in the capital.

Abductors of Nigerian schoolgirls pretended to be soldiers: witness

By Lanre Ola and Isaac Abrak MAIDUGURI/ABUJA (Reuters) - Islamist rebels duped dozens of Nigerian schoolgirls into thinking they were soldiers come to evacuate them before abducting over 100 in their latest anti-government raid, one of the survivors said on Wednesday. Gunmen suspected to be members of the radical Islamist movement Boko Haram swooped on Chibok town in Borno state and on its nearby all-girls government secondary school late on Monday, calling on the students to leave their beds in the hostel.

EU 'stands with Nigeria' in anti-terror fight

EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton "strongly" condemned the abduction of more than 100 Nigerian schoolgirls by Islamists on Tuesday, saying the 28-nation bloc stands with Nigeria in its struggle against terrorism. "I strongly condemn the abduction of more than 100 school girls in north eastern Chibok," just a day after a bombing in Abuja that left 75 dead and injured many more, Ashton said in a statement. "I am concerned by the increasing frequency and spread of terrorist attacks," she added.

Islamists abduct more than 100 girls from Nigeria school

Heavily armed Boko Haram Islamists abducted more than 100 girls from a secondary school in northeast Nigeria, sparking a search by soldiers to track down the attackers, a security source and witnesses said Tuesday. Some of the schoolgirls in the Chibok area of southern Borno state narrowly escaped their kidnappers by jumping off a truck in the middle of the night as the gunmen sought to cart them away, according to multiple witnesses.

Nigeria rebels abduct schoolgirls, government says will protect 'African Davos'

By Felix Onuah and Lanre Ola ABUJA/MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) - Suspected Islamist insurgents abducted more than 100 female students in a night raid on a government secondary school in Nigeria's northeast Borno state, a teacher said on Tuesday. The gunmen, believed to be members of the Boko Haram Islamist group which has attacked schools in the northeast before as part of their anti-government rebellion, carried off the students from the school in Chibok late on Monday.

Islamists abduct more than 100 girls from Nigeria school

Heavily armed Boko Haram Islamists kidnapped more than 100 girls from a school in northeast Nigeria, sparking a search by soldiers to track down the attackers, a security source and witnesses said Tuesday. The unprecedented mass abduction in Borno state came hours after a bomb blast ripped through a crowded bus station on the outskirts of Abuja, killing 75 people, the deadliest attack ever in Nigeria's capital.
Syndicate content