Connect to share and comment

Boko Haram attack kills 17 in Nigeria

Boko Haram militants attacked a village in restive northern Nigeria, killing 17 people and setting houses and cars alight, the local government said Sunday. Among the dead were Muslim worshippers shot as they prayed in the village mosque, said Abdullahi Bego, spokesman for the governor of the troubled state of Yobe. "The gunmen are Boko Haram people, it was the same pattern of attacks they are known for," he told AFP. "They also burnt several houses and many vehicles before fleeing," he said.

Italian priests, Canadian nun kidnapped in Cameroon

YAOUNDE (Reuters) - Two Italian priests and a Canadian nun were kidnapped in northern Cameroon overnight, a bishop and a government source said on Saturday, months after a French priest was seized nearby. It was not immediately clear who took them, though Nigerian Islamist sect Boko Haram is known to operate in the area.

Boko Haram chief has 'little control' over fighters

Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau likely has little control over his fighters, the International Crisis Group said on Thursday, calling the Islamist terror group "more dispersed than ever". A new report from the Brussels-based think-tank said many of Boko Haram's senior commanders are probably based outside Nigeria, including in neighbouring Cameroon and Niger. Shekau, declared a global terrorist by the United States which put a $7 million bounty on his head, frequently issues fiery video messages that claim credit for attacks.

Nigeria suicide bombers kill 15 in failed oil facility attack: army

ABUJA (Reuters) - Suspected Islamist suicide bombers killed 15 civilians in a failed attack on a state oil company facility in northeast Nigeria, when soldiers at a checkpoint opened fire on their explosive-packed vehicles, the military said on Wednesday. Seventeen civilians and five soldiers were wounded by the blasts on Tuesday which also destroyed eight vehicles, Defense Ministry spokesman Chris Olukolade said. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Four Islamists killed in failed suicide attack, Nigeria says

Four would-be suicide bombers planning to blow up a petrol station died in Nigeria's troubled northeast on Tuesday after soldiers opened fire on their explosives-packed cars, the military and witnesses said. The suspected Boko Haram Islamists were trying to attack a filling station owned by Nigeria's state oil firm on the outskirts of Maiduguri, the epicentre of a brutal insurgency which has already killed an estimated 1,500 people this year.

Nigeria under pressure to explain 'jailbreak' deaths

Nigeria's secret police faced questions Monday about how 21 detainees were killed during an attempted jailbreak from their headquarters, with claims of a cover-up about exactly what happened. The detainees, reportedly suspected Boko Haram insurgents, died Sunday after the Department of State Services said that one inmate overpowered a guard and seized his weapon. The DSS, which is Nigeria's intelligence agency, has not revealed the charges the suspects faced or exactly how they came to be killed.

Nigerian military hits back at Boko Haram abuse claims

Nigeria's military on Monday denied claims from Amnesty International that its troops may have committed war crimes and crimes against humanity in the fight against Islamist insurgents Boko Haram. The human rights group has called on the international community to push for an independent investigation into alleged abuses after a bloody three months which have left more than 1,500 dead.

Amnesty calls for war crimes probe into Boko Haram violence

Boko Haram militants and the Nigerian military may have committed war crimes and crimes against humanity in the insurgency raging in the country's north, Amnesty International said on Monday, calling for an independent investigation. The human rights monitor made the call as it said that more than 1,500 people had been killed during increased violence in northeast Nigeria in the first three months of 2014 -- the highest figure yet from organisations tracking the conflict.

Shootout in Nigerian capital during attempted jail break kills 21

ABUJA (Reuters) - Detainees suspected of being members of Islamist militant group Boko Haram overpowered their guards at a prison near Nigeria's presidential villa in Abuja, seizing a rifle and triggering a gun battle that killed 21 people, security officials said. The prisoners struck on Sunday as the guards from Nigeria's State Security Service (SSS) came in to feed them at their headquarters' prison near the residence of President Goodluck Jonathan, SSS spokeswoman Marilyn Ogar said.

21 dead in attempted jail break: Nigerian secret police

Nigeria's secret police said on Sunday that 21 detainees died during an attempted escape from custody at its headquarters, with unconfirmed reports that Boko Haram militants were involved. A security breach at the facility in Abuja, particularly by the feared Islamists, would be an embarrassment for the government and raise fresh questions about its ability to tackle the extremists. But there was no official confirmation of the involvement of the group, which has been waging an increasingly violent insurgency in Nigeria's northeast this year.
Syndicate content