Connect to share and comment

Malaysia hunts missing invaders as more fighters join

Malaysian forces searched house-to-house Wednesday after armed Filipino invaders apparently escaped a military assault, as a Philippine guerrilla warned more fighters had arrived. Malaysia Tuesday launched an attack with jet fighters and soldiers on up to 300 Filipino invaders in a bid to end a bloody three-week standoff in which 27 people had already been reported killed, including eight policemen.

Doubts emerge over Malaysian assault on invaders

Malaysia's military Tuesday launched a fierce assault including jet fighters on up to 300 Filipino intruders after a deadly three-week standoff, but the militants' supporters said they had escaped and were alive and well. Malaysia's national police chief had also raised doubts about the success of the air and ground attack, saying "mopping up" operations had yet to find any bodies and suggesting at least some of the militants might have slipped away.

Doubts emerge over Malaysian assault on invaders

Malaysia's military Tuesday launched a fierce assault including jet fighters on up to 300 Filipino intruders after a deadly three-week standoff, but the militants' supporters said they had escaped and were alive and well. Earlier Malaysia's national police chief had also raised doubts about the success of the air and ground attack, saying "mopping up" operations had yet to find any bodies and suggesting at least some of the militants might have slipped away.

Philippine gunmen survived Malaysia attack: spokesman

Philippine militants loyal to a self-proclaimed sultan survived a bombing raid and ground offensive launched by Malaysian security forces on Tuesday, the group's spokesman said. More than 200 men loyal to the sultan who have been in Malaysia's Sabah state for about three weeks moved outside the area that was attacked before the offensive operation began, the sultan's spokesman, Abraham Idjirani, told AFP. "They heard a lot of explosions and saw two bombs being dropped by Malaysian aircraft," Idjirani said in Manila.

Malaysia unleashes military on Filipino invaders

Malaysia's military Tuesday launched a fierce assault including jet fighters on up to 300 Filipino intruders after a deadly three-week standoff, as their leader vowed they would fight to the death. However, Malaysia's national police chief said more than nine hours after the attack began that "mopping up" operations had yet to find any dead militants, and expressed fears that at least some of them might have slipped away.

Philippine 'sultan' says gunmen will 'fight to last man'

A self-proclaimed Philippine sultan said Tuesday his gunmen would "fight to the last man" as Malaysian troops mounted an operation to end a deadly three weeks-old stand-off in Sabah on Borneo island. "The crown prince, the royal security forces, and the many patriots who landed (in Sabah) voluntarily will fight to the last man protecting their ideals and aspirations," their leader Jamalul Kiram III said in Manila.

URGENT ¥¥¥ Philippine 'sultan' says gunmen to 'fight to the last man'

A self-proclaimed Philippine sultan said Tuesday his gunmen would "fight to the last man" as Malaysia mounted an armed operation to end a deadly three weeks-old stand-off in Sabah on Borneo island. "The crown prince, the royal security forces, and the many patriots who landed (in Sabah) voluntarily will fight to the last man protecting their ideals and aspirations," their leader Jamalul Kiram III said in Manila. mm/cgm/mtp

Malaysia unleashes military on Filipino invaders

Malaysia's military launched a fierce assault Tuesday on up to 300 Filipino intruders locked in a three-week deadly standoff that has become the country's biggest security crisis in years. Prime Minister Najib Razak said he had no choice but to unleash the military to try to end an incursion that had already killed 27 people and began when militants invaded to claim Malaysian territory for a past Philippine sultanate.

Malaysia launches attack to clear out militants

Malaysian air and ground forces launched an assault on defiant Filipino intruders on Tuesday as the government moved to end a three-week incursion that had already killed 27 people. Prime Minister Najib Razak said the government had no choice but to quell Malaysia's worst security crisis in years, sparked when militants invaded to claim the Malaysian state of Sabah for a self-styled Philippine sultan. State news agency Bernama said F-18 and Hawk fighter jets bombed the standoff Bornean village of Tanduo, followed by "a ground assault by the army".

Malaysia launches attack to clear out militants

Malaysian fighter jets launched air strikes on a defiant group of Filipino intruders Tuesday as security forces sought to end a three-week incursion that has already killed 27 people. Prime Minister Najib Razak said the government had no choice but to quell Malaysia's worst security crisis in years, sparked when militants invaded to claim the Malaysian state of Sabah for a self-styled Philippine sultan. "The longer this invasion lasts, it is clear to the authorities that the invaders do not intend to leave Sabah," Najib said, adding that negotiations had gone nowhere.
Syndicate content