Connect to share and comment

Colombia asked to take in Guantanamo detainees

Colombia confirmed Thursday that the United States had asked it to take in inmates from the Guantanamo Bay prison for terror suspects. It did so after news reports in Uruguay said that that country, Brazil and Colombia had been approached by the Americans. "The government has listened to this request carefully from the United States," said Foreign Minister Maria Angela Holguin. But Colombia has yet to study the request in detail, she said. Earlier this week Uruguay said it would take in five detainees from Guantanamo as refugees.

U.S. in talks with Uruguay over Guantanamo prisoners

MONTEVIDEO (Reuters) - The United States has held talks with Uruguay about closing the Guantanamo prison, the embassy in Montevideo said on Thursday, following a newspaper report the small South American nation has agreed to take five of the detainees the U.S. wants to relocate. Weekly newspaper Busqueda reported Uruguay accepted a U.S. proposal to take the detainees for two years, after President Jose Mujica, a 78-year-old ex-guerrilla, spoke to Cuban President Raul Castro and sent delegates to the prison.

US transfers Guantanamo detainee to Algeria

The Pentagon said Thursday it had transferred an inmate from the Guantanamo prison back home to Algeria, after holding him at the facility for 12 years without a trial. The move brought the number of detainees at the military prison down to 154, as President Barack Obama tries to make good on a promise to close the controversial detention camp at a US naval base in southeast Cuba. Ahmed Belbacha, 44, was cleared for transfer by a task force created to review inmates' cases by a 2009 executive order, the Pentagon said in a statement.

Saudi at Guantanamo pleads guilty over tanker attack

A Saudi detainee at the US prison in Guantanamo Bay pleaded guilty Thursday to terror charges in connection with the 2002 suicide bombing of a French oil tanker off Yemen. Ahmed Mohammed Ahmed Haza al-Darbi, the brother-in-law of one of the September 11, 2001 plane hijackers, admitted to planning, aiding and supporting an attack on the MV Limburg which killed a Bulgarian sailor, injured a dozen and caused a large oil spill in the Gulf of Aden.

Saudi at Guantanamo pleads guilty over tanker attack

A Saudi detainee at the US prison in Guantanamo Bay pleaded guilty Thursday to terror charges in connection with the 2002 suicide bombing of a French oil tanker off Yemen. Ahmed Mohammed Ahmed Haza al-Darbi, the brother-in-law of one of the September 11, 2001 plane hijackers, admitted to planning, aiding and supporting an attack on the MV Limburg which killed a Bulgarian sailor, injured a dozen and caused a large oil spill in the Gulf of Aden.

Obama urges Guantanamo closure this year, shift from 'permanent war footing'

By Matt Spetalnick WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama told Americans on Tuesday that 2014 should be the year to finally close the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay as the United States winds down its military role in Afghanistan and shifts away from a "permanent war footing."

Early detainee seeks freedom as US mulls closing Gitmo

One of Guantanamo's very first detainees -- still classified as among the most dangerous -- asked a review panel to free him Tuesday, as US officials stepped up efforts to close the controversial jail. Abdel Malik Wahab al Rahabi, a 34-year-old Yemeni, appeared frail and serious in a white prison tunic during the 19-minute declassified hearing of the US prison camp's "Periodic Review Board." His civil lawyer, David Remes, told the panel that Al Rahabi wanted to return to his home village, his wife and young daughter and open a farm called "Land of Milk and Honey.

Early detainee seeks freedom as US mulls closing Gitmo

One of Guantanamo's very first detainees -- still classified as among the most dangerous -- asked a review panel to free him Tuesday, as US officials stepped up efforts to close the controversial jail. Abdel Malik Wahab al Rahabi, a 34-year-old Yemeni, appeared frail and serious in a white prison tunic during the 19-minute declassified hearing of the US prison camp's "Periodic Review Board." His civil lawyer, David Remes, told the panel that Al Rahabi wanted to return to his home village, his wife and young daughter and open a farm called "Land of Milk and Honey.

Expert panel mulls release for Guantanamo detainee

One of the very first Guantanamo detainees -- still classified as among the most dangerous -- testified Tuesday to an expert panel that could ultimately see him freed, as efforts intensify to close the controversial jail. Yemeni Abdel Malik Wahab al Rahabi, 34, appeared frail and serious in a white prison tunic during the 19-minute hearing in Guantanamo of the "Periodic Review Board."

U.S. sends three minority Chinese detainees to Slovakia

WASHINGTON/PRAGUE (Reuters) - The United States is sending the three remaining ethnic Uighur Chinese inmates at the Guantanamo Bay detention center to Slovakia, the Pentagon said on Tuesday, in the latest of a flow of transfers aimed at eventually shutting the controversial prison. Yusef Abbas, Saidullah Khalik, and Hajiakbar Abdul Ghuper are the last of 22 Muslim minority Chinese nationals to be moved from the Guantanamo Bay military prison in Cuba, Rear Admiral John Kirby, a Pentagon spokesman, said in a statement.
Syndicate content