Connect to share and comment

Tennis: Del Potro to undergo wrist surgery

Juan Martin del Potro will undergo surgery Monday on his troublesome left wrist after a visit to his US doctors in Minnesota, the player announced. The Argentine world number eight has been bothered by the problem since early January when he first felt pain in an opening match at the Australian Open a few days after winning the Sydney tournament title. He withdrew from events in Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami.

Del Potro to have wrist surgery, miss season: report

BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - Former U.S. Open champion Juan Martin del Potro will undergo a second wrist operation in four years on Monday and miss the rest of the season, Argentine media reported. Del Potro, who pulled out of the Miami tournament this week, will have surgery on his left wrist which he uses for his backhand, having had an operation on his right wrist in May 2010.

Tennis: Del Potro out of Miami with wrist injury

Former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro withdrew from the ATP Miami hardcourt tournament on Wednesday, citing the left wrist injury that has nagged him for several weeks. The eighth-seeded Argentina star, who has been forced to pull out or retire in his past three events, was replaced in the 96-man field by German lucky loser Benjamin Becker. "I still feel pain in my left wrist and I don't feel competitive to go on court," Del Potro said. "It's a pity because this is a special tournament for me since there are many Latin fans and Argentines in particular.

Tennis: Injured Del Potro pulls out of Indian Wells

Sixth-seeded Argentinian Juan Martin del Potro pulled out of the Indian Wells Masters on Sunday with a left wrist injury. The same injury had forced the world number seven to retire from his first round match in Dubai last month. "It's still hurting a lot, I'm not feeling 100 percent, I'm not in good condition to compete," 2013 finalist del Potro said in a hastily-arranged press conference at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden. He had been slated to play Spain's Feliciano Lopez in a second-round match on Sunday after enjoying a first-round bye.

Del Potro, frustrated over injury setback, thanks fans for support

Buenos Aires, Feb 26 (EFE).- Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro on Wednesday thanked his fans for the outpouring of support he has received since reinjuring his left wrist at this week's Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships. "First of all I want to thank you for the support that is coming from all over the world," Del Potro, who retired Tuesday from his first-round match at that hard-court event, said in a message to his fans on his Facebook page.

Tennis: Del Potro threatened by injury again

Juan Martin Del Potro, the former US Open champion who became the ATP Tour's comeback player of the year after recovering from a career-threatening wrist injury, has been struck down by a similar injury again. The courageous and usually hard-hitting Argentine lasted little more than an hour and only one set in the Dubai Open, before requiring lengthy treatment after which he called it quits.

Tennis: Del Potro threatened by injury again

Juan Martin Del Potro, the former US Open champion who became the ATP Tour's comeback player of the year after recovering from a career-threatening wrist injury, has been struck down by a similar injury again. The courageous and usually hard-hitting Argentine lasted little more than an hour and only one set in the Dubai Open, before requiring lengthy treatment after which he called it quits.

Unhappy Del Potro says won't play Davis Cup this year

BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - Juan Martin del Potro said on Monday he will not play in Argentina's Davis Cup playoff tie in September due to his differences with the Argentine Tennis Association (AAT). Argentina, who have reached four finals - including three since 2006 - must play off against as yet unknown opponents to retain their world group status having been upset by Italy in the first round in Mar del Plata two weeks ago.

Tennis: Del Potro refuses to play Davis Cup

Former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro announced Monday he would not be playing Davis Cup tennis for Argentina this year amid an ongoing dispute with his country's federation. "I will not be playing in the rest of the 2014 Davis Cup season," the 25-year-old said in a statement. "In November, I published a letter in which I expressed my disagreement with the hypocrisy surrounding the Davis Cup. Since then, nothing has changed. It has even got worse," added Del Potro, currently world number 5.

Tennis: Gulbis upsets ailing Del Potro to reach semis

Ernests Gulbis ended Juan Martin del Potro's winning run when he beat the top seed 6-3, 6-4 in a quarter-final upset at the Rotterdam World Tennis on Friday. Gulbis, the world number 24 from Latvia, will face third seed Tomas Berdych in the semi-finals after the Czech defeated Poland's Jerzy Janowicz 6-7 (9/11), 6-2, 6-4 in a hard-fought victory which took nearly two-and-a-half hours. In his last five tournaments as the top seed, defending champion Del Potro had won five titles and 23 straight matches.
Syndicate content