Connect to share and comment

5 Afghan soldiers killed in NATO airstrike

Kabul, Mar 6 (EFE).- At least five Afghan soldiers died and seven were wounded in a NATO airstrike on Thursday in Logar province, south of Kabul, an official told Efe. The attack was carried out early in the morning on an Afghan army checkpoint in the Sarkh district, said the spokesman for the provincial government, Dim Mohammed Darwish. He said that "we have opened an investigation to clarify the circumstances under which the bombardment occurred."

ISAF air strike kills 5 Afghan troops, wounds 8, ISAF says

Five Afghan National Army soldiers were killed accidentally in an operation in eastern Afghanistan by the International Security Assistance Force on Thursday, a press release by ISAF said. It said an investigation is being conducted to determine the circumstances that led to the incident. "Our condolences go out to the families of the ANA soldiers who lost their lives," the statement said.

Afghans in army uniform kill two foreign soldiers in east

KABUL (Reuters) - Two Afghan men in army uniform turned their weapons on foreign soldiers in east Afghanistan on Wednesday, killing two, an Afghan official and the NATO-led coalition said. An Afghan interior ministry official said the shooting took place in Kapisa province, just north of the capital Kabul. The NATO-led coalition confirmed two foreign soldiers had been shot dead but did not identify their nationalities.

Two NATO civilian contractors killed in Kabul attack

Two civilian contractors working for the NATO force in Afghanistan were killed in a bomb attack in Kabul on Monday, the coalition said. The statement from the International Security Assistance Force did not give the nationalities of the dead. The car bomb attack near Kabul's main prison Pol-e-Charkhi targeted a convoy of NATO troops, officials said.

NATO soldier killed in Afghan multiple suicide attack

Taliban militants killed one NATO soldier in a multiple suicide attack involving a car bomb, explosive vests and gunfire against a base in southern Afghanistan on Monday, NATO officials said. Afghan officials said the attack targeted a US facility in Zhary district of Kandahar province, a flashpoint region of the Islamist insurgency against NATO forces and the Kabul government. "One ISAF member has been killed in this attack," a spokesman for NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) told AFP.

NATO soldier killed in Afghan multiple suicide attack

Taliban militants killed one NATO soldier in a multiple suicide attack involving a car bomb, explosive vests and gunfire against a base in southern Afghanistan on Monday, NATO officials said. "One ISAF member has been killed in this attack," a spokesman for NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) told AFP. sak/bgs/ia/erf

Poland says to halve Afghanistan troop deployment

Poland's defence minister said Wednesday that Warsaw, a major contributor of troops for the US-led war in Afghanistan, would roughly halve its contingent to 500 soldiers by May. Poland had previously planned to maintain 1,000 troops in Afghanistan until the end of the year as part of NATO's International Security Assistance Force. "In agreement with our allies, we have decided to speed up our withdrawal," Tomasz Siemoniak told reporters. "All heavy equipment, such as armoured vehicles and helicopters, will also return to Poland by May."

Poland says to halve Afghanistan troop deployment

Poland's defence minister said Wednesday that Warsaw, a major contributor of troops for the US-led war in Afghanistan, would roughly halve its contingent to 500 soldiers by May. Poland had previously planned to maintain 1,000 troops in Afghanistan until the end of the year as part of NATO's International Security Assistance Force. "In agreement with our allies, we have decided to speed up our withdrawal," Tomasz Siemoniak told reporters. "All heavy equipment, such as armoured vehicles and helicopters, will also return to Poland by May."

Afghans protest rumored desecration of Koran by NATO troops

Kabul, Jan 7 (EFE).- Some 400 people protested Tuesday in the central Afghan province of Wardak the alleged desecration of a Koran by members of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force, authorities told Efe. The demonstrators blocked the highway linking the cities of Kabul and Kandahar for two hours demanding that the people who had reportedly damaged or desecrated Islam's holy book be brought to justice, the police spokesman in Wardak, Wali Norzai, said.

Afghan Taliban claim attack on NATO convoy in Kabul

KABUL (Reuters) - The Afghan Taliban claimed responsibility for an attack on a military convoy belonging to the NATO-led ISAF security force in Kabul on Saturday, striking at the heart of the capital but without causing any casualties. Security sources said the bomb had targeted a military convoy near Camp Eggers, an ISAF base in the diplomatic quarter of the capital close to both the German and Italian embassies.
Syndicate content