Connect to share and comment

Berlusconi clashes with "stupid" protesters as tensions rise

ROME (Reuters) - Former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, facing trial on tax fraud and sex charges, abused protesters who whistled and jeered as he entered parliament on Saturday to vote in an election for speaker of the Senate. "You should be ashamed, you're poor, stupid fools," he said loudly as he made his way into the Senate.

Sex trial hearing delayed over Berlusconi's health

Judges in Milan on Wednesday decided to postpone to Monday a hearing in Silvio Berlusconi's trial for having sex with an underage prostitute because of the former prime minister's health issues. The court had sent in medical experts to work out whether or not Berlusconi was exaggerating an apparent eye infection and hypertension in order to delay a trial in which the verdict is looming. The report on Berlusconi's health found that he was suffering from "jumps in blood pressure."

Court orders medical checks on Italy's Berlusconi

A court in Milan on Monday ordered medical checks for Silvio Berlusconi to verify whether the hospitalised former Italian prime minister is really unable to attend hearings in his trial for having sex with an underage prostitute and abuse of power. The trial had already been suspended on Friday because the 76-year-old Berlusconi said he was suffering from an eye infection. His lawyers have asked for Monday's hearing to be postponed too.

Berlusconi paid for sex with cash and favours: prosecutor

Silvio Berlusconi hosted a "prostitution system" at his villa near Milan, where he paid women for sex with cash and favours, a prosecutor at the former prime minister's trial said on Monday. Prosecutor Antonio Sangermano was presenting his final arguments ahead of a verdict expected later this month in Berlusconi's trial for allegedly having sex with an underage prostitute in 2010.

Berlusconi sex trial delayed until after election

An Italian court on Monday decided to postpone all future hearings in Silvio Berlusconi's sex trial until after this month's election to allow the former premier to continue campaigning, judicial sources said. In the so-called "Rubygate" trial that began in 2011, the billionaire tycoon is charged with paying for sex with a minor and for abusing his powers. The Milan court upheld a request from Berlusconi's legal team who cited campaign interviews and other political activities as a "legitimate impediment" to justify delaying the trial until after the February 24-25 election.

Berlusconi sex trial hearing delayed for TV interview

Italian judges on Monday accepted a request to postpone a hearing in Silvio Berlusconi's sex trial on the grounds that the former premier was due to attend an election campaign television interview which prevented him from being in court. The decision marks a minor victory for the media magnate, whose defence team has been fighting hard to get the trial starring an exotic dancer nicknamed "Ruby the Heart Stealer" totally suspended until after the February 24-25 poll.
Syndicate content