Connect to share and comment

Boston bombings cast shadow over London Marathon

Sunday's London Marathon will take place amid a climate of heightened security and increased vigilance following the fatal bomb attacks that plunged the Boston Marathon into tragedy. The twin blasts that killed three and wounded more than 180 in Boston on Monday have prompted organisers of the London race to ramp up security measures in a bid to reassure runners and the half a million spectators expected to line the route.

London Marathon to raise $100,000 for Boston victims

London Marathon organisers announced on Thursday that they will donate £2 ($3, 2.30 euros) for every finisher in Sunday's race to a fund for victims of the bomb attacks in Boston. The One Fund Boston was set up to help people affected by the twin bombings that killed three people and injured over 180 during Monday's Boston Marathon. With around 35,500 people expected to complete the London race, organisers hope to raise more than £70,000 ($100,000) for the fund.

UK "quadruple-checking" London Marathon security after Boston

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain is "double, triple, quadruple checking" security arrangements for this weekend's London marathon after the tragic events in Boston this week, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said on Thursday. Explosions at the Boston marathon finish line on Monday killed three people and injured 176. No arrests have yet been made.

Police evacuate Boston court

Police on Wednesday evacuated the federal courthouse in Boston which has been under increased scrutiny since the deadly bomb attacks earlier this week at the city's marathon. An AFP reporter at the scene said scores of people were ordered out of the building near the Boston seafront and two fire trucks were present. Police moved onlookers more than 100 feet (30 meters) back from the building, but there was no immediate sign of an emergency.

No arrest in connection with Boston bombings

No one has yet been arrested in connection with the deadly bomb attacks at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, police and the FBI said Wednesday, denying earlier media reports. "Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the Marathon attack," the Boston police department said on its Twitter account. The Federal Bureau of Investigation also said there had been "no arrests made," urging the media to "exercise caution." bur-sst/vlk

Extra police for London Marathon, say organisers

Organisers of the London Marathon said on Wednesday that extra police would be deployed to monitor security at the event in the wake of the devastating fatal bombings at the Boston Marathon. Security has been stepped up for Sunday's race after three people were killed and over 180 injured when two bombs were detonated as runners approached the finish line in the US city on Monday. London Marathon chief executive Nick Bitel said the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, had emphasised the importance of a visible police presence for the race in the British capital.

London Marathon organisers call for show of solidarity

Organisers of the London Marathon have urged people to come out and support Sunday's race in the wake of the devastating fatal bombings at the Boston Marathon. Three people were killed and over 180 injured, many seriously, after two bombs were detonated as runners made their way towards the finish line in the US city's race on Monday. In response, organisers of the London Marathon reviewed security measures for Sunday's race in the British capital before confirming that the event would go ahead as scheduled.

Boston in tribute to marathon dead

Boston paid a tearful tribute Tuesday to eight-old-old Martin Richard, a restaurant manager and a Chinese graduate student, all killed in an attack on the US city's marathon. More than 1,000 people held a candle-lit vigil in a park near the boy's home in the Boston suburbs. Other ceremonies were held in the city for the three dead and at least 180 injured from Monday's attack on the marathon finish line.

Boston in tearful tribute to marathon dead

Boston paid a tearful tribute Tuesday to eight-old-old Martin Richard and two other people, including a Chinese student, killed in an attack on the city's marathon. More than 1,000 people held a candle-lit vigil in a park near the boy's home in the Boston suburbs. Other ceremonies were held in the city for the three dead and at least 180 injured from Monday's attack on the marathon finish line. Richard has become the face of the tragedy at the marathon finish line that remains largely unexplained to the public. Images of the boy have been given blanket coverage by US media.

Chinese citizen died in Boston Marathon bombings

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The third fatal victim of Monday's Boston Marathon bombings was a Chinese citizen whose identity was not being made public at the request of the victim's family, the Chinese Consulate in New York said in a statement on Tuesday. Another Chinese citizen was injured and in stable condition after surgery, the statement said. Officials previously identified an 8-year-old boy and a 29-year-old woman in the attacks that killed three and wounded 176. (Reporting by Daniel Trotta)
Syndicate content