Connect to share and comment

Judge rules most of Pistorius trial can be televised

A South African judge ruled Tuesday that most of Oscar Pistorius's trial for the 2013 murder of his girlfriend can be broadcast live, but not the Paralympian's own testimony. Judge Dunstan Mlambo said cameras would be allowed "to obtain a video and audio recording" of opening arguments, the evidence of state witnesses, closing arguments and the verdict and sentencing. But cameras will not be allowed to film Pistorius, witnesses for the defence, or anyone else who objects to appearing on camera, he added.

Zuma son probed for fatal crash in South Africa

Police are investigating a son of South Africa's President Jacob Zuma for manslaughter after a woman died in an accident involving his sports car, media reports said Sunday. Duduzane Zuma, a businessman, crashed his Porsche into a minibus taxi just before midnight on February 1 in the suburb of Sandton, the Sunday Independent, the Sunday Times and Eyewitness News radio reported. Police confirmed an investigation of manslaughter against the Porsche driver, but declined to name the person until charges are laid and he appears in court.

S. Africa's Dlamini-Zuma denies leaving AU post for ANC

African Union commission chief Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma said Wednesday she would stay on in her post, dismissing reports she was standing down to represent the ruling ANC in parliament in South Africa. "I have no intention of not finishing my term," she told reporters at AU headquarters in Addis Ababa. "I am a member of the ANC, I've always been and I'll die a member of the ANC, so they are free to say whatever they want and to make their own pronouncement, but I will finish my term if I'm still alive here in the AU."

Fourth death after S.Africa police crackdown on protest

A fourth man has died in hospital after the South African police fired rubber bullets at community protests a week ago, a spokesman said Monday. "We can confirm that a fourth person died," said police spokesman Sabata Mokgwabone. The 36-year-old man passed away Sunday night after police allegedly shot at protestors in a township west of the capital Pretoria last Monday, Mokgwabone told AFP. "We can't say at this stage what he was shot with. "No live ammunition was used. (It was) rubber bullets," he added.

Two S.African protesters said killed by police

South African police officers allegedly shot and killed two protesters during a demonstration Monday over poor delivery of state utility services in a town near the capital Pretoria, police said. The killings occurred in Brits, a town that lies between Pretoria and the Marikana town where police in August 2012 shot dead 34 striking platinum miners. "Two people were shot dead, allegedly by police, and another two injured," police spokesman for the area colonel Sabata Mokgwabone told AFP.

S.Africa's Zuma transfers key white-owned land ahead of vote

South African President Jacob Zuma Thursday handed over 13,184 hectares (35,580 acres) of a previously white-owned farm to black communities as part of the country's land reform programme, ahead of elections this year. The state paid almost one billion rand ($92.5 million/68 million euros) for the land located in the eastern Mpumalanga province, which is seen as one of the most expensive deals since the inception of the programme nearly two decades ago.

No abuse of state funds in Zuma's private home revamp

The South African government on Thursday said President Jacob Zuma did not abuse state funds in the multi-million dollar revamp of his home which has sparked widespread anger ahead of polls next year. "Allegations that the president had used state resources to build or upgrade his personal dwellings are unfounded," Public Works Minister Thulasi Nxesi told a news conference.

No abuse of state funds in Zuma's private home revamp

The South African government on Thursday said President Jacob Zuma did not abuse state funds in the multi-million dollar revamp of his private home which has sparked widespread anger ahead of polls next year. "Allegations that the president had used state resources to build or upgrade his personal dwellings are unfounded," Public Works Minister Thulasi Nxesi told a news conference. sn/mfp

South Africans call online for Zuma's ouster after report on spending

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - Thousands of South Africans on Saturday called online for the impeachment of President Jacob Zuma, after a newspaper revealed a government document detailing the use of public funds for lavish upgrades to his private home. The Mail and Guardian weekly said on Friday a provisional report by South Africa's top anti-corruption watchdog found Zuma had derived "substantial" personal gain from a $21 million "security upgrade" to his home, including a swimming pool and a cattle enclosure.

S. African gov't dismisses alleged fund scandal

S. African gov't dismisses alleged fund scandal JOHANNESBURG, Nov. 29 (Xinhua) -- The South African government on Friday denied the media report that the state fund was abused on revamping the president private house. "No state funds had been spent on improving President Jacob Zuma's private house at Nkandla," said the Government Communications and Information System in a statement.
Syndicate content