Connect to share and comment

Five UN troops wounded in DRCongo attack

Five UN peacekeeping troops were wounded Monday when two people on a motorcycle threw a grenade at their patrol in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, the UN force said Tuesday. The UN mission for the stabilisation of the country (MONUSCO) said in a statement the attack occurred in the area of Beni in North Kivu province. It did not say how seriously the troops were hurt. "This unacceptable attack... does not in any way reduce our support for FARDC (DRC Armed Forces) in the fight against armed groups," MONUSCO chief Martin Kobler said in the statement.

UN says over 70 civilians executed in eastern DR Congo

More than 70 men and women have been summarily executed in the restive eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the UN mission in the country (MONUSCO) said Thursday. "The reports received by MONUSCO suggest that the summary executions were allegedly committed mainly by armed groups to spread terror among the population. The majority of the victims were killed with machete," MONUSCO said in a statement.

UN says over 70 civilians executed in eastern DR Congo

More than 70 men and women have been summarily executed in the restive eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the UN mission in the country (MONUSCO) said Thursday. "The reports received by MONUSCO suggest that the summary executions were allegedly committed mainly by armed groups to spread terror among the population. The majority of the victims were killed with machete," MONUSCO said in a statement.

UN says drone crashes in DR Congo

The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo said one of its two new surveillance drones crashed after technical problems on Wednesday but no one was hurt. The accident took place around 10:00 am local time (0800 GMT) as the drone was landing at the airport in Goma, capital of the troubled North Kivu province, said the MONUSCO mission's spokesman Carlos Araujo. The pilotless aircraft "left the runway while landing", said Araujo.

UN says drone crashes in DR Congo

The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo said one of its new surveillance drones crashed on Wednesday but no one was hurt. The accident took place around 11:00am local time (0900 GMT) as the drone was landing at the airport in Goma, capital of the troubled North Kivu province, said a source from the MONUSCO mission. "There were no injuries," the source added. The UN drone programme was launched on December 3.

Children among 21 victims of brutal DR Congo attack

The bodies of at least 21 people, including women and children, were found after an attack in eastern DR Congo, the UN peacekeeping mission there said Monday. Girls were believed to have been raped and decapitated while a child was also dismembered in a wave of attacks in North Kivu last week, MONUSCO said in a statement. A local civil society organisation blamed the rampage on the Muslim Ugandan rebel group ADF-Nalu, one of the oldest but least known armed organisations based in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

UN launches unmanned surveillance aircraft to better protect civilians in DRC

UN launches unmanned surveillance aircraft to better protect civilians in DRC UNITED NATIONS, Dec. 3 (Xinhua) -- The United Nations on Tuesday launched its first-ever unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) in a bid to better protect civilians in the country's restive east, a UN spokesman said.

UN launches its first ever surveillance drone in DR Congo

The UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo on Tuesday officially launched a surveillance drone in the strife-torn northeast in the first such move by the United Nations. The Italian-made pilotless aircraft was launched at 12:01 pm (1001 GMT) from the airport in Goma, capital of North Kivu province, at a media event attended by the chief of UN peacekeeping operations, Herve Ladsous and several diplomats.

DR Congo soldiers go on trial for rape, war crimes

A military court in the Democratic Republic of Congo on Wednesday began trying a group of soldiers and officers for rape and other war crimes in the volatile east of the country. Defence lawyer Matthieu Mugisho said a group of 39 were accused but only 38 appeared for the hearing as one was taken ill and was being cared for outside Goma, the eastern regional hub where the trial is taking place. The dozen officers on trial were not facing rape charges, he said, but were accused of failing to prevent their forces from committing the offences.

Leader of beleaguered DR Congo rebels calls for truce

The leader of the Democratic Republic of Congo's M23 rebels has called for a ceasefire as government troops waged an offensive against the die-hard fighters in the country's troubled east. The call came with the rebels on the back foot as Congolese troops pounded hilltop positions where some 200 fighters have holed up after being forced from their last stronghold this week.
Syndicate content