Connect to share and comment

Art trove to be returned to elderly German collector

Berlin, Apr 9 (EFE).- Prosecutors in the southern German city of Augsburg on Wednesday lifted a confiscation order for an extremely valuable art trove found in the Munich apartment of reclusive elderly collector Cornelius Gurlitt, a portion of which is suspected of having been stolen from their original owners, many of them Jewish, during Adolf Hitler's 1933-1945 Nazi regime. German authorities said a decision was made to return the works, including paintings by Monet and Renoir, to the 81-year-old collector after the investigation turned up new evidence.

Art trove to be returned to elderly German collector

Berlin, Apr 9 (EFE).- Prosecutors in the southern German city of Augsburg on Wednesday lifted a confiscation order for an extremely valuable art trove found in the Munich apartment of reclusive elderly collector Cornelius Gurlitt, a portion of which is suspected of having been stolen from their original owners, many of them Jewish, during Adolf Hitler's 1933-1945 Nazi regime. German authorities said a decision was made to return the works, including paintings by Monet and Renoir, to the 81-year-old collector after the investigation turned up new evidence.

Romanian court resumes hearings over Dutch art heist

A Romanian court will on Tuesday resume the trial of six men over the spectacular theft from a Dutch museum of seven masterpieces that are still missing and feared destroyed. The main suspect, Radu Dogaru, and most of his accomplices have admitted stealing the paintings, which include two Monets, a Gauguin and a Picasso, Maria Vasii, one of the defence lawyers, told AFP. But one of the six defendants, Adrian Procop, is still on the run and is being tried in his absence.

Art heist suspect offers to return paintings

The main suspect in a spectacular heist from a Dutch museum has told prosecutors he would return five of the seven paintings if they agreed to try him in the Netherlands, his lawyer said Tuesday before the start of his client's trial in Bucharest. "Radu Dogaru tried to make a deal with the (Dutch) prosecutors," Catalin Dancu told reporters. "He said: 'Send me back to the Netherlands and I will give you five of the paintings'," Dancu added.

Art heist suspect offers to return paintings

The main suspect in a spectacular heist from a Dutch museum has told prosecutors he would return five of the seven paintings if they agreed to try him in the Netherlands, his lawyer said Tuesday before the start of his client's trial in Bucharest. "Radu Dogaru tried to make a deal with the (Dutch) prosecutors," Catalin Dancu told reporters. "He said: 'Send me back to the Netherlands and I will give you five of the paintings'," Dancu added.

Romanians to face trial over Dutch masterpiece heist

Six Romanians will stand trial over the spectacular theft of seven masterpieces from a Dutch museum last year even though the artworks have never been found, prosecutors said Monday. However, no date has yet been set for the trial over what has been dubbed the "theft of the century" at the Kunsthal museum in Rotterdam. Experts have estimated the value of the stolen paintings -- which include works by Picasso, Matisse and Monet -- at more than 100 million euros ($130 million).

Dutch police arrest Romanian woman over art heist

Dutch police on Monday arrested a young Romanian woman in Rotterdam on suspicion of helping get a haul of masterpieces stolen from the city's Kunsthal museum out of the country, police said on Monday. "Detectives investigating the art heist at the Kunsthal on Monday afternoon arrested a 19-year-old Romanian woman who is suspected of being involved in the handling of the seven stolen paintings," Rotterdam police said in a statement.
Syndicate content