Connect to share and comment

Americas' rights commission questions Guantanamo treatment

The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights Monday demanded the United States explain abuses allegedly committed at Guantanamo prison, especially its practice of force-feeding inmates on hunger strike. "The information we have indicates that there was a general and systematic violation of human rights" in Guantanamo, said Rodrigo Escobar Gil, one of the Washington-based body's seven commissioners. The allegations of forced feeding of Guantanamo prisoners on hunger strike constituted "cruel and inhumane treatment," he added.

Gitmo authorities consider hunger strike wave over

Authorities at the US prison at Guantanamo Bay said Monday they would no longer issue daily hunger strike updates on detainees, effectively announcing the end of the unprecedentedly broad prisoner protest. Only 19 of the US military jail's 164 inmates remained on hunger strike Monday, a number that has held steady since September 11, according to spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Samuel House.

Two Canadians held in Egypt go on hunger strike

Two Canadians being held in Egypt have launched a hunger strike in protest at their incarceration without charge, a family member told AFP on Wednesday. John Greyson is a Toronto filmmaker and university professor, and Tarek Loubani is an emergency room doctor from London, Ontario. The men were detained last month soon after trying to enter Gaza, where Greyson was scouting for a documentary and Loubani planned to help train local doctors. But they were turned back at the Gaza border and later arrested in Cairo.

US demands dismissal of Gitmo hunger-strikers appeal

The US government Thursday called for the dismissal of a legal appeal filed by hunger-striking detainees at Guantanamo Bay who want to ban the practice of force-feeding, official filings showed. A federal judge in July declared that the practice of feeding inmates by nasal tubes at the controversial military jail constituted "torture" and said it should be stopped, but she rejected the lawsuit filed by four prisoners.

Guantanamo braces for unrest after Ramadan truce

The end of Ramadan has left authorities at the Guantanamo Bay military jail preparing for an uptick in unrest at the controversial prison, US officials say. The annual Muslim fast is traditionally regarded as an unofficial truce at Guantanamo, where some inmates have been held for around a decade without trial. However officials expect the end of Ramadan and the festival of Eid al-Fitr will be the cue for trouble at Guantanamo, which has witnessed an unprecedented six-month hunger strike this year.

Six months on, hunger strike roils Guantanamo

Guantanamo detainees are marking six months of an unprecedented hunger strike that has trained attention on the more than 150 men held at the US military prison without charge or trial. The strike began on February 6 as a spontaneous reaction to a cell sweep in which guards allegedly mishandled copies of the Koran, but soon grew into a mass protest against the legal limbo within the walls of the War on Terror prison. The strike helped push US President Barack Obama in May to renew his four-year-old vow to shut down the controversial facility in Cuba.

Hunger strike at Guantanamo Bay shows signs of weakening

By Jane Sutton GUANTANAMO BAY U.S. NAVAL BASE, Cuba (Reuters) - The hunger strike that began nearly six months ago at the Guantanamo Bay detention camp in Cuba and spread to include two-thirds of its 166 prisoners has tapered off with a Ramadan pardon that has allowed some prisoners to be together during Islam's holy month.

Guantanamo prisoners clamor for 'Fifty Shades of Grey'

The "Fifty Shades of Grey" series of erotic novels are the favorite reading material among "high-value" prisoners at the Guantanamo detention camp in Cuba, a US congressman said. Representative Jim Moran of Virginia was among congressional delegates who last week toured Camp 7, the top-security facility that holds more than a dozen "high-value" prisoners, including five men charged with plotting the September 11 attacks on the United States in 2001.

Rapper's force-feeding video riles U.S. medics at Guantanamo Bay

By Jane Sutton GUANTANAMO BAY U.S. NAVAL BASE, Cuba (Reuters) - A video protesting force-feeding at Guantanamo Bay detention camp in which rapper Mos Def is seen struggling and weeping while undergoing the procedure has done the rounds at the Navy base. U.S. medics who perform the real thing on hunger-striking prisoners say they're not impressed. "It's ridiculous. It's 100 percent false," said a Navy nurse known as "Ensign Lodowick" at the detainee hospital where real names are protected for security reasons.

CORRECTED: Number of Gitmo inmates on hunger strike drops

The number of detainees on hunger strike at the US prison at Guantanamo has dropped sharply in the past week, Pentagon officials said Tuesday. Out of 166 detainees held at the prison on the US naval base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, 80 inmates are refusing to eat,spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Todd Breasseale told AFP. They include 46 who are on a list for possible force feeding through nasal tubes while three are under observation at a hospital, he said.
Syndicate content