Connect to share and comment

Haye advised to retire after shoulder surgery

LONDON (Reuters) - Former world heavyweight champion David Haye has been advised by doctors to consider retiring after undergoing shoulder surgery, the Briton said on Sunday. Haye underwent five hours of surgery in Germany on Thursday to reconstruct his right shoulder and was advised to think about ending his 11-year professional boxing career. Haye, 33, had been due to box compatriot Tyson Fury in a rearranged bout on February 8, 2014, in Manchester, but he has canceled the fight for a second time.

Boxing: Former heavyweight champ Haye facing retirement

Former world heavyweight champion David Haye said Sunday he was contemplating retirement on medical grounds after revealing he has a severe shoulder injury. The London boxer has pulled out of a rescheduled February 8 bout with British rival Tyson Fury and now looks set to call time on his career after an operation last week failed to rectify his shoulder problem. "It's a crushing blow for me," he said in a statement issued by his Hayemaker Promotions company.

Boxing: Haye-Fury rescheduled for February

British boxer David Haye announced on Tuesday that his heavyweight fight against compatriot Tyson Fury has been rearranged for next February in Manchester. The pair were due to face off at the city's Phones 4U Arena this Saturday, only for Haye to postpone the bout last weekend after suffering a cut above his left eye while sparring that required six stitches. The fight will now take place on February 8, 2014. "News of the date in February is music to my ears," said Haye, a former world heavyweight champion.

Haye sets February date for Fury fight

LONDON (Reuters) - Former world heavyweight champion David Haye's postponed fight with Tyson Fury has been rescheduled to February 8 in Manchester, promoters announced on Tuesday. The fight between the two Britons had been scheduled for September 28 but had to be called off after Haye cut his left eyebrow in sparring. "News of the date in February is music to my ears," said Haye, who lost his WBA belt in July 2011 to Ukrainian Vladimir Klitschko.

Haye postpones Fury fight after cut in sparring

LONDON (Reuters) - Former world heavyweight champion David Haye has had to postpone a September 28 bout with fellow-Briton Tyson Fury in Manchester after suffering a cut over his left eyebrow in training. Haye, who lost his WBA belt in July 2011 to Ukrainian Vladimir Klitschko, was sparring with Croatian Filip Hrgovic on Friday when he suffered the wound that needed six stitches.

Boxing: Injured Haye postpones Fury fight

David Haye has been forced to postpone his heavyweight clash with Tyson Fury due to a deep cut sustained in training, his promoters Hayemaker Boxing announced on Saturday. Former WBA heavyweight champion Haye sustained the injury during a training camp sparring session ahead of the sell-out bout, which was due to take place at Manchester's MEN Arena on September 28. The 32-year-old's cut above his left eyebrow needed six stitches, which will have to stay in place for up to a week, and he is awaiting further medical tests before setting a new date for the bout.

Boxing: Injured Haye postpones Fury fight

David Haye has been forced to postpone his heavyweight clash with Tyson Fury due to a deep cut sustained in training, his promoter Hayemaker Boxing announced on Saturday. Former WBA heavyweight champion Haye sustained the injury during a training camp sparring session ahead of the sell-out bout, which was due to take place at Manchester's MEN Arena on September 28. The 32-year-old's cut above his left eyebrow needed six stitches, which will have to stay in place for five to seven days, and he is awaiting further medical tests before setting a new date for the bout.

Boxing: Injured Haye pulls out of comeback fight

David Haye's hopes of re-establishing himself as a heavyweight title contender suffered a setback on Tuesday after the former WBA champion withdrew Tuesday from a bout next month with Manuel Charr because of a hand injury. British boxer Haye was set to fight for the first time in nearly a year at the Manchester Arena in northern England on June 29 against an opponent whose only professional loss came when he was controversially stopped because of a cut to his right eye in the fourth round by WBC champion Vitali Klitschko last year.

Boxing: Haye names Charr as comeback opponent

Controversial boxer David Haye will take on German Manuel Charr in his comeback fight on June 29, the Briton announced on Sunday. Lebanon-born Charr, who also has Syrian heritage, has twice already called out Haye as both men lost a world title fight to one of the dominant Klitschko brothers over the last 18-months.

Boxing: Charr calls out Haye for Syria benefit bout

Former world heavyweight challenger Manuel Charr has vowed to donate half his purse to the Syrian peace process if loud-mouthed Brit David Haye will face him in the ring. Charr was born Mahmoud Omeirat Charr in Beirut to a Syrian father but has lived most of his life in Germany. Known as the 'Diamond Boy', Charr has not forgotten his origins and wants to do something to ease the suffering in the land of his ancestors. And he can think of no better fight to help him do that than against Haye, who earlier Thursday announced his return to action after a year-long absence.
Syndicate content