Connect to share and comment

Germany arrests former Auschwitz medic, 93

German police have arrested a former Nazi medic who served at the Auschwitz death camp on multiple charges of aiding and abetting murder, prosecutors said Tuesday. The 93-year-old, who was arrested at his home near Neubrandenburg north of Berlin, underwent a medical checkup before he faced a judge and was then taken into pre-trial detention. The former SS member allegedly assisted in the mass murder of prisoners who arrived on eight transports from Germany, Austria, France, Italy, the Netherlands and Slovenia in September 1944.

Over 40 Auschwitz guards to face German justice

German investigators into Nazi war crimes will send the files of more than 40 former Auschwitz death camp personnel to state prosecutors from next month, a newspaper reported Tuesday. Most of the suspects are aged in their 90s and they live in all parts of Germany including the former communist East, chief investigator Kurt Schrimm told the Tageszeitung. The list of alleged guards at the concentration and extermination camp in what was Nazi-occupied Poland initially contained 50 names, but some of them have since died.

Germany arrests 'Auschwitz guard' on murder charges

German authorities arrested Monday a 93-year-old alleged former guard at the Nazi death camp Auschwitz on charges of complicity in the mass murder of prisoners. Prosecutors in the southwestern state of Baden-Wuerttemberg said the man was believed to have worked at the camp between autumn 1941 and its closure in 1945. Authorities declined to release the suspect's name but media reports indicated it was Hans Lipschis, who figures among the Simon Wiesenthal Center's most-wanted Nazis and is said to have served in the SS "Death's Head" battalion.

Germany probes former Auschwitz guard

Germany is investigating an alleged former Auschwitz death camp guard, prosecutors said Wednesday, who according to media reports is listed among the Simon Wiesenthal Center's most-wanted Nazis. Prosecutors in the southwestern city of Stuttgart confirmed to AFP they had "started investigating an alleged concentration camp guard in autumn of 2012" and that he had worked in Auschwitz. They declined to name the suspect and said no charges had been laid.

Germany widens search for former Nazi death camp guards

Germany plans to broaden its investigation into former Nazi death camp guards from Auschwitz to those who served in other concentration camps, a top official told AFP on Monday. An initial probe was first reported at the weekend into some 50 suspected former Auschwitz guards, now aged around 90, for complicity in murder, by the Central Office for the Investigation of National Socialist Crimes.

Germany to probe 50 for complicity in Auschwitz murders

Germany will open an investigation into some 50 Nazi guards, now aged around 90, at the former Auschwitz death camp for complicity in murder, media reports said Saturday. The office in charge of tracking down those who committed Nazi crimes will launch its probe within the coming weeks, regional newspapers of Germany's WAZ media group reported. The Central Office for the Investigation of National Socialist Crimes, based in Ludwigsburg, southwest Germany was not immediately available for comment.
Syndicate content