Connect to share and comment

Costa Concordia captain lashes out on shipwreck return

Italian captain Francesco Schettino lashed out at a media "frenzy" on Thursday after his first return to the Costa Concordia, saying people who accused him of abandoning the ship had not understood "a bloody thing". "There is a frenzy that is making me nervous," Schettino told reporters in the port on Giglio Island off Tuscany where his luxury cruise liner crashed on January 13, 2012 in a tragedy that claimed 32 lives.

Two years after Concordia wreck, captain returns aboard

By Silvia Ognibene GIGLIO, Italy (Reuters) - The captain of the Costa Concordia, Francesco Schettino, went back on board on Thursday for the first time since the huge cruise liner sank with the loss of 32 lives just over two years ago, accompanying experts investigating the capsize. The twisted wreck of the 290-metre-long ship, now stabilized after a complex salvage operation last year, sits propped up on underwater platforms just outside the port of Giglio, the island off the Tuscan coast where it capsized on January 13, 2012.

Italy cruise captain to return to site of disaster

The captain of the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise ship Francesco Schettino will return to the site of the disaster for the first time on Thursday as part of the trial against him. The trial judge on Tuesday accepted a request from Schettino's defence that he be allowed to take part in a visit to Giglio Island by a group of experts working for the court. Judge Giovanni Puliatti said Schettino would be there "as a defendant, not a consultant", Italian media reported.

Italy cruise captain to return to site of disaster

The captain of the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise ship Francesco Schettino will return to the site of the disaster for the first time on Thursday as part of the trial against him. The judge at the trial on Tuesday accepted a request from Schettino's defence lawyers that he be allowed to take part in a visit to Giglio Island by a group of experts compiling a report for the court, Italian media reported.

Diver killed while working on Costa Concordia wreckage in Italy, reports say he gashed his leg

ROME - A diver died Saturday while working on the shipwrecked Costa Concordia, apparently gashing his leg on an underwater metal sheet while preparing the wreck for removal, officials and news reports said. Italy's civil protection agency, which is overseeing the removal of the Concordia from Tuscany's coast, said the diver hailed from Spain.

Obligatory psychological tests for Costa captains after Italy shipwreck

Costa Crociere, Europe's biggest cruise operator, introduced obligatory psychological tests for its captains following the shipwreck of the Concordia off the coast of Italy, one of its directors told a court Tuesday. "After the Concordia accident, Costa made it obligatory for the captains of its ships to undergo tests with a psychologist," said Maurizio Campagnoli, the company's industrial and employees relations director.

Captain 'refused chance' to return to sinking Concordia

An official coordinating the rescue from Italy's stricken cruise ship told a court Monday that the captain, accused of abandoning ship, refused twice to be taken back on board after making it safely to dry land. Captain Francesco Schettino, who is on trial for multiple manslaughter, insists that he slipped off the Costa Concordia as it rolled over after hitting rocks off the island of Giglio, and fell onto a lifeboat which carried him ashore.

Experts board doomed Italy liner in search of evidence

A team of experts climbed aboard the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise liner for the first time on Thursday, looking for evidence of what happened the night of the fatal crash which killed 32 people. Investigators were joined by judges from a court in the nearby town of Grossetto, where the ship's captain Francesco Schettino is standing trial for multiple manslaughter and causing a shipwreck.

Survivors protest on Costa Concordia shipwreck anniversary

Survivors of the Costa Concordia shipwreck staged a protest Monday on the second anniversary of the tragedy outside the trial of the luxury liner's captain, saying more blame should be put on the ship's owner Costa Crociere, Italian media reported. A few dozen protesters rallied in Grosseto in Tuscany, near the courtroom where Francesco Schettino is on trial for manslaughter and allegedly abandoning the ship before all the passengers had been evacuated.

Survivors protest on Costa Concordia shipwreck anniversary

Survivors of the Costa Concordia shipwreck staged a protest Monday on the second anniversary of the tragedy outside the trial of the luxury liner's captain, saying more blame should be put on the ship's owner Costa Crociere, Italian media reported. A few dozen protesters rallied in Grosseto in Tuscany, near the courtroom where Francesco Schettino is on trial for manslaughter and allegedly abandoning the ship before all the passengers had been evacuated.
Syndicate content