Connect to share and comment

Companies deliver Panama City metro in record time and without cost overruns

Panama City, Apr 5 (EFE).- The Spanish companies involved in construction of the Panama City metro, to be inaugurated Saturday evening, said the project was delivered in "world record" time and within the budget constraints. "This is a world record. No one has built a project like this in such little time," Jose Luis Manzanares, CEO of Barcelona-based engineering firm Ayesa, told Efe during the final trial run of Central America's first subway system.

Football: World Cup stadium could be partially closed

The stadium that will host the opening match of the World Cup on June 12 could be closed in places if it is not made safer for fans, the Sao Paulo state prosecutor's office warned Wednesday. It comes after a fatal accident at the weekend which saw a construction worker fall to his death at the Corinthians Arena and following a firefighters' inspection identified 26 safety irregularities. Construction work has been suspended. Authorities have urged owners Corinthians club and constructor Odebrecht to ensure improvements regarding fire safety and exits.

Football: World Cup stadium could be partially closed

The stadium that will host the opening match of the World Cup on June 12 could be closed in places if it is not made safer for fans, the Sao Paulo state prosecutor's office warned Wednesday. It comes after a fatal accident at the weekend which saw a construction worker fall to his death at the Corinthians Arena and following a firefighters' inspection identified 26 safety irregularities. Construction work has been suspended. Authorities have urged owners Corinthians club and constructor Odebrecht to ensure improvements regarding fire safety and exits.

Football: Sao Paulo World Cup stadium hit by third death

A construction worker at Sao Paulo's troubled World Cup stadium was killed after falling from a stand on Saturday, bringing the number of deaths at the venue to three. The workman, named as Fabio Hamilton da Cruz, fell eight metres (26 feet) as he helped install temporary seating at the ground and was taken to hospital where his condition had been described as serious. His employers said in a statement that he was observing all the necessary safety standards at the ground which will host the opening game of the World Cup between hosts Brazil and Croatia on June 12.

Football: Sao Paulo World Cup stadium hit by third death

A construction worker at Sao Paulo's troubled World Cup stadium was killed after falling from a stand on Saturday, bringing the number of deaths at the venue to three. The workman fell eight metres (26 feet) as he helped install temporary seating at the ground and was taken to hospital where his condition had been described as serious. His employers said in a statement that he was observing all the necessary safety standards at the ground which will host the opening game of the World Cup between hosts Brazil and Croatia on June 12.

Triunfo awarded highway concession in Brazil

Rio de Janeiro, Dec 4 (EFE).- Triunfo Participacoes, one of Brazil's leading infrastructure companies, on Wednesday was awarded the rights to operate and maintain three major stretches of federal highways in the South American nation. Triunfo offered to charge a toll of 2.85 reais ($1.24) per 100 kilometers (62 miles) on those stretches of the BR-060, BR-153 and BR-262 highways, which run through 47 cities in central Brazil and cover a combined distance of 1,176 kilometers (730 miles), the Antt land-transportation regulator said.

Work resumes at Brazil World Cup stadium after deadly accident

Sao Paulo, Dec 2 (EFE).- Construction work resumed Monday at this Brazilian metropolis's World Cup stadium, where an accident last week left two people dead. After the three days of mourning decreed by lead contractor Odebrecht, 1,350 workers were back on the job Monday at Arena Corinthians, informally known as Itaquerao. Nonetheless, in the area where the accident occurred, equivalent to about 30 percent of the east side of the stadium and 5 percent of the entire building site, construction remains at a standstill pending completion of the accident investigation.

Work resumes at Brazil World Cup arena hit by deaths

Construction work resumed Monday at a Sao Paulo stadium that will host next year's World Cup opener, five days after an accident left two dead. Two workers were killed Wednesday when a crane collapsed at the stadium, raising fresh doubts about Brazil's ability to finish work for the tournament on schedule. Globo television showed a priest leading workers in prayer before they resumed work. "It's good to get back to work but at the same time it is difficult because of the deaths of our colleagues. It is very sad," said one worker, 40-year-old Jose Viana da Silva.

Exclusive: Damaged Brazil stadium may be delayed till February - source

By Brian Winter SAO PAULO (Reuters) - A fatal construction accident at Sao Paulo's World Cup stadium may delay its opening until February, but FIFA is not worried about it being ready on time to host the tournament's opening game in June, a source with direct knowledge of the situation told Reuters on Thursday.

World Cup stadium death may force delay

The fatal accident at a Brazilian World Cup stadium could mean that it misses a December 31 deadline for completion, authorities warned Wednesday. Two workers died after a crane toppled over at Sao Paulo's Itaquerao Stadium on Wednesday, the venue for the opening match of the 2014 World Cup finals. Football's world governing body FIFA has said all along that all 12 arenas hosting games for the first World Cup to be held in Brazil since 1950 must be ready by the end of the year.
Syndicate content