Connect to share and comment

Court orders state to pay penalty for not opening Isahaya Bay dike

The Saga District Court ordered the state on Friday to start paying a penalty to fishermen in two months unless it opens the floodgates of the Isahaya Bay dike in southwestern Japan in line with a high court ruling that ordered the opening for assessment. The court also ordered the floodgates, closed in 1997 as part of the government's bay reclamation project in Nagasaki Prefecture amid opposition from local fishermen, to remain open for five years.

Voting under way in Nagasaki gubernatorial election

Voting in the Nagasaki gubernatorial election started Sunday morning, pitting the incumbent against a Communist challenger. Hodo Nakamura, backed by the ruling Liberal Democratic Party and its coalition partner the New Komeito party, seeks his second four-year term. Toshihiko Haraguchi, secretary general of the Japanese Communist Party's Nagasaki chapter, calls for revamping the policies under Nakamura's leadership.

Voting under way in Nagasaki gubernatorial election

Voting in the Nagasaki gubernatorial election started Sunday morning, pitting the incumbent against a Communist challenger. Hodo Nakamura, backed by the ruling Liberal Democratic Party and its coalition partner the New Komeito party, seeks his second four-year term. Toshihiko Haraguchi, secretary general of the Japanese Communist Party's Nagasaki chapter, calls for revamping the policies under Nakamura's leadership.

Huis Ten Bosch planning Bangkok-Nagasaki charter flight

Theme park operator Huis Ten Bosch Co. plans to fly a charter flight between Nagasaki and Bangkok within the year to attract Southeast Asian tourists, President Hideo Sawada said in a recent interview with Kyodo News. Asia Atlantic Airlines, a subsidiary of travel agency H.I.S. Co., will operate the flight, said Sawada who doubles as chairman of H.I.S. that also owns the theme park in Sasebo, Nagasaki Prefecture. The carrier operates flights between Thailand and Japan.

Japan to hold Oceania's 1st A-bomb exhibition in New Zealand

The Nagasaki National Peace Memorial Hall for the Atomic Bomb Victims said Friday it will hold Oceania's first atomic bomb exhibition in New Zealand from November through February. The hall has sponsored atomic bomb exhibitions in 11 cities in eight countries including the United States and Russia since 2005. The coming Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bomb exhibition in New Zealand, known for its anti-nuclear foreign policy, is designed to promote the movement for the elimination of nuclear weapons.

Nagasaki begins adding new names to list of A-bomb victims

The Nagasaki city office on Monday began the annual task of adding names to the list of victims of the 1945 U.S. atomic bombing of the city. The newly confirmed victims, who died between Aug. 1 last year and March 31, total 1,178. The names and dates of death of the deceased, along with those of more victims likely to be found by the end of July, are to be added to the list, which contained 158,765 names as of Aug. 9, 2012.
Syndicate content