Connect to share and comment

Nazi war criminal Priebke buried in Italy prison graveyard: paper

ROME (Reuters) - Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke was secretly buried in an anonymous grave in a cemetery inside the walls of an Italian prison complex, an Italian newspaper reported on Thursday. La Repubblica said the coffin of the man convicted of one of Italy's worst wartime atrocities was taken from a military airport and buried on the grounds of the undisclosed prison late last month.

Nazi war criminal buried in Italy prison cemetery

Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke, whose death sparked a legal dispute over what to do with his body, has been secretly buried in an Italian prison cemetery, La Repubblica reported Thursday. "The fenced-off area where Priebke is buried, marked by a wooden cross in the underbrush... is a prison cemetery," the Italian daily said without providing details on where the cemetery is located. It is "the only bit of Italian land where Priebke's death can go back to being just a death, not Nazi symbolism," it said, adding that the cross was unmarked except for a number.

Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke to be buried in Italy

Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke will be buried in a secret location in Italy, his lawyer said on Saturday, following a long legal dispute after the former SS officer's death in Rome last week. "We have an agreement with the authorities over the burial of Erich Priebke in a secret location," Paolo Giachini said, after a funeral rite for Priebke earlier sparked street clashes near the Italian capital.

Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke to be buried in Italy

Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke will be buried in a secret location in Italy, his lawyer said on Saturday, following a long legal dispute after the former SS officer's death in Rome last week. "We have an agreement with the authorities over the burial of Erich Priebke in a secret location," Paolo Giachini said, after a funeral rite for Priebke last week sparked street clashes near Rome. Asked by AFP whether the burial would take place in Italy, Giachini answered "yes". Italian news agency ANSA later reported him saying the location would be "either in Italy or in Germany".

In Argentine Nazi refuge Bariloche, silence was de rigueur

Bariloche, a popular Argentine tourist resort ringed by the Andes, where Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke found refuge after World War II, has kept mostly silent on its long history as a home to Nazis. For 40 years, Priebke lived undisturbed among its citizens, until he was finally extradited to Italy in the 1990s over a World War II massacre for which he has never expressed regret. Since his death in Rome last week at age 100, Priebke's body has been in limbo, with Argentina refusing to accept the remains so that he might be buried next to his wife in Bariloche.

Nazi war criminal's German birthplace refuses his body

"Priebke's got no place here," said Klaus Kitzmann, a long-standing resident of Hennigsdorf, the German birthplace of Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke whose burial site remains uncertain a week after he died in Italy at the age of 100. "Our history is already complicated enough," Kitzmann, a 70-year-old pensioner who has lived in the Berlin suburb for 54 years, told AFP Friday. Italy convicted Priebke in 1998 -- three years after he was extradited by Argentina where he had fled after the war -- of executing 335 civilians in caves near Rome during World War II.

Nazi war criminal unrepentant in final video

Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke spoke from beyond the grave on Thursday as his lawyer released a posthumous "video testament" for the man convicted of executing 335 civilians in caves near Rome. Speaking in heavily accented Italian in the undated video, Priebke was unrepentant about his role in the Fosse Ardeatine massacre and blamed partisan resistance fighters for causing it. The 1944 mass killing by Nazi occupiers was a retaliation against an Italian partisan attack in which 33 German soldiers were killed.

Family demand return of Nazi war criminal's body

By Naomi O'Leary ROME (Reuters) - The family of Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke demanded the return of his body on Thursday after his funeral was disrupted by protesters and his coffin taken away by Italian authorities. The former SS officer died last week, aged 100 in Rome, where he spent the end of his life under house arrest for commanding troops who killed 335 civilians in 1944, one of Italy's worst wartime massacres. He never apologized for his crimes.

Nazi war criminal unrepentant in final video

Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke spoke from beyond the grave on Thursday as his lawyer released a final "video testament" for the man convicted of executing 335 civilians in caves near Rome. Speaking in heavily accented Italian in the undated video, Priebke was unrepentant about his role in the Fosse Ardeatine massacre and blamed partisan resistance fighters for causing it. The 1944 mass killing by the Nazis was a retaliation against a partisan attack in which 33 German soldiers were killed.

Italy at a loss over dead Nazi war criminal

Italian authorities appeared at a loss Thursday on what to do with the body of Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke who died last week while living under house arrest for massacring 335 civilians. A funeral on Tuesday for the former SS captain by an ultra-conservative Catholic splinter group degenerated into street battles and was shut down by the police to prevent a neo-Nazi rally. The officiating priest Pierpaolo Petrucci, however, told Italian daily La Stampa that he did in fact complete the funeral mass at the seminary of the Society of St Pius X in Albano Laziale.
Syndicate content